Guidelines for grant applications
Objective of the Foundation
The Otago Polytechnic Education Foundation is a Trust established to help realise our ambitions of being a world-class vocational education and socially sustainable provider.
The purpose therefore of the Otago Polytechnic Education Foundation grant round is to seek applications from students and staff (academic and general) who have the opportunity to make an impact on the world stage as part of their study and or professional development, particularly in the area of sustainability.
For example you may have the opportunity as an invited speaker or performer at an international event or a programme of study that would equip you with capabilities not available in NZ and which can benefit your community upon return. Or you may have won or have been selected to represent the Polytechnic offshore.
However if you are seeking financial support to complete your programme of study or final exhibition it is unlikely that the grants committee would support your application. For staff, this grant will not cover routine conference attendance.
Eligibility for Consideration
The legibility criteria for applicants and projects include the following:
- Applicants should be able to indicate that their project will benefit/enhance Otago Polytechnic and the wider Dunedin community to engage in sustainable practices in workplaces, homes and community spaces.
- Applications for travel must be taken within one year of successful application. Applications for travel later than this will not be considered.
- The Board are likely to favour students in their final year of study unless exceptional circumstances apply.
- Fees - course fees are considered a ‘known’ expense when enrolling in the programme and other avenues for assistance with fees are available, for this reason course fees are generally not approved.
- The committee members are familiar with Otago Polytechnic policy and procedures around research, ethics, professional development and course related costs.
- Students may wish to consider whether the Student Assistance Fund may be able to assist (refer to management policy MP601 Student Assistance Fund and enquire at the Otago Polytechnic Students Association).
- The trustees and committee members welcome any opportunity to view the outcomes of your project and appreciate feedback.
Conditions of the Award
- Applications be for travel must be taken within one year of successful application. Applications for travel later than this will not be considered.
- Applicants, on acceptance of any funding shall agree to provide Otago Polytechnic with regular updates and progress reports during their time away. This will include updates via email, social media, blogs and a written travel report on their return. These reports may be published on the website. It is required that a short video or photo montage is uploaded to the OP Facebook page tagging the Education Foundation is done as soon as practicable on arrival at the student’s funded destination.
- The decisions of the Foundation Board are final.
- Award recipients consent to being approached with regard to promotional or alumni activities
- Activities are requested to acknowledge receipt of the grant in appropriate ways.
Value of Award
- The Foundation will make a contribution to the all-inclusive costs of travel of the successful applicants.
- In general grants will be funded up to $3,000. Exceptional circumstances may apply.
- Applications must be made on the form provided.
- It is essential that applications are typed.
- Budget - it is important to provide a detailed breakdown of your expenses and any other funding you are receiving (internally, externally, yourself). Make it clear how much you are asking the Education Foundation Board for. All figures should be quoted GST inclusive.
- The trustees may consider approving a portion or particular part of a project, hence the breakdown is important.
- Late applications or out-of season applications may be considered on merit.
- Your application should be no longer than 6 pages.
- Do not send original materials, quotes, etc with your application.
- Application and documentation to be single sided copies only
- Please do not bind your application
- You must attach evidence from an independent person who can attest to the benefits of your proposal. For staff, this may be your Manager, and for students, someone who can attest to your special circumstances.
- Please keep documentation relevant, current and to a minimum.
How to Send your Application
- Completed applications and referee forms should be emailed to: email@example.com no later than 5 pm on the closing date.
- If you are unable to email your application and reference forms, then please deliver to Marketing and Communications by 5 pm on the closing date.
Closing Date: 31 July of each year
(Consideration will be given to out-of-season applications)