Employment of Dependent Children of Staff
To provide equal opportunity for the dependent children of employees to register their interest in, and be employed to do, casual assistant work across Otago Polytechnic Limited (Ltd). Such work is usually as an administrative support person or as a labourer usually with Campus Services.
In employing dependent children of staff Otago Polytechnic Ltd will not discriminate on the grounds of gender, gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, religious or ethical beliefs, or political opinions.
Exclusions: This policy applies to dependent children (aged between 15 and 18 years) of staff only. It does not apply to an adult child (18 years or over) who may formally apply for an advertised vacancy at Otago Polytechnic Ltd.
1. To be employed at Otago Polytechnic Ltd the dependent children of staff must:
1.1. Be between 15 to 18 years of age prior to the commencement of their employment.
1.2. Complete a standard application for employment form before any work is agreed or offered, and not start work until an employment agreement has been signed. Selection may include an informal interview and reference check.
1.3. Not report directly to their parent/guardian or other family member.
2. The dependent child will be paid the adult minimum wage for any administrative or labouring casual work (not on Otago Polytechnic Limited permanent staff pay scales).
3. If the child is over 18 years old, they will be subject to Otago Polytechnic Ltd usual recruitment policies and processes.
4. Staff with dependent children wishing to work at Otago Polytechnic Ltd will:
4.1. Ensure that children use the appropriate avenues to obtain work at Otago Polytechnic Ltd in accordance with this policy.
4.2. Not approach other Otago Polytechnic Ltd staff/formal leaders directly to solicit work for their dependent children.
4.3. Not liaise with their child’s work area on behalf of their child or seek to obtain personal information about their child that is held by Otago Polytechnic Ltd.
5. Otago Polytechnic Ltd work areas requiring casual labour of this nature will:
5.1. Contact People and Culture for advice about employment of dependent children from the Business Partner before offering work.
5.2. Ensure that there is a formal employment agreement signed prior to the new casual staff member starting work.
5.3. Provide appropriate training and supervision for casual workers and ensure they are not supervised by a parent/guardian or other family member.
6. People and Culture will:
6.1. Keep copies of the information submitted by dependent children applying for and being offered casual employment.
6.2. Ensure that the children are eligible to work and have an appropriate employment agreement.
7. Otago Polytechnic Ltd will communicate directly with the employee (child) not via their parent/guardian.
· Conflict of Interest
· Recruitment & Selection