Otago Polytechnic student takes out the People's Choice Award at the iD International Emerging Designer Awards.
Laura Bennett describes her collection, 'A lucid Distraction', as "an invitation to escape the digital realm into the solace and wonder of nature".
The collection features a kaleidoscope of colour that draws a hearty smile and leaves a fun impression of pom poms and flowers.
The People's Choice Award was proudly sponsored by Otago Polytechnic, and was decided by a text vote.
Otago Polytechnic is proud to be a sponsor of the iD Dunedin Fashion Week, which was a great success.
One of our favourite events is, of course, the iD International Emerging Designer Awards.
In this coveted competition, students from Otago Polytechnic compete against others from around the world - this year there were 33 finalists from 12 countries.
It's Australasia's largest emerging fashion design competition, and this year was held at Dunedin's historic railway station.
The students' garments were judged by a panel of top fashion industry folk, and were displayed down the 86m catwalk in a big awards evening on Thursday 23 March.
The overall winner was University of Technology Sydney's Nehma Vitols.
The iD Dunedin Fashion Week, and Otago Polytechnic's support of it, were prevalent in local and national media. Some of those are:
- The must see events for the week were outlined in Fashion Quarterly.
- Otago Polytechnic's Dr Margo Barton and Dr Jane Malthus joined a panel to choose "Current", a costume and textile collection at the Otago Museum. Read more about it here.
- The couture catwalk of the iD International Emerging Designer Awards is discussed in Thread.
- Laura Bennet's People's Choice Award is explained in more detail in this Otago Daily Times article.
- Otago Polytechnic Fashion graduate, Fiona Clements, is profiled in The Women's Weekly.
- There are some great Faces in the Crowd in this Otago Daily Times photographic account.
- Otago Polytechnic fashion students help out back stage, as illustrated in this article in Stuff.
- Account of the iD Dunedin Fashion Show 2017 in Thread.
- Margo Barton helped organise the Metamorphosis Symposium at the Dunedin Public Art Gallery, as detailed in Newsie.
Read more about Fashion Design at Otago Polytechnic.
Expiry: 27 May 2017