Tēnā koutou katoa, and welcome to the Learning and Teaching Development team update for June 2019.
Spotlight on AIC Learning and Teaching Development
In April this year, Learning and Teaching Development’s former Director, David McMaster, took up the position of Executive Director of Learning and Teaching and is also a member of the Executive Leadership Team at AIC.
David, James Staples and Katherine Danaher, Learning and Teaching Specialists, are currently working on a number of parallel strands, encompassing teacher capability support, student academic skills enhancement and assessment support. The Graduate Diploma in Tertiary Education (GDTE) is being delivered at AIC, with two cohorts currently undertaking the Fundamentals of Tertiary Teaching and Learning, and one cohort approaching the end of Designing Effective Assessments. With the ongoing drive for an uplift in quality of assessments at AIC, James and Katherine, in conjunction with Helen Walsh, are supporting staff in redesigning and moderating their assessments.
AIC and Otago Polytechnic are progressing with a pan-institutional approach to learning and teaching and inter-campus exchanges are now a regular event. Members of the Dunedin team have been up in Auckland supporting the Post Graduate Diploma in Applied Management team with post-assessment moderation and Katherine and James have and will continue to visit Dunedin on a monthly basis. This collaborative approach ensures there is consistency in delivery that provides improved quality for our learners, the building of a community of practice that consolidates a whole institutional approach and strengthens the reach of the learning and teaching team.
Thank you, David, for all your contributions to the Learning and Teaching Development Team. We wish you all the best in your new role, and we hope you are enjoying the city life (and not missing the chilly Dunedin winter!)
Need help before Semester Two delivery?
- Come and join us for Coffee and Kōrero with Learning and Teaching Development @ The Hub
Monday – Friday, 10am – 11am, 1st July - 12th July
- For some guidelines on what to do before your Moodle course is delivered, read the latest blog on Ed Tech Matters: Preparing your course, ready for delivery in Semester Two.
- Status of Programmes 2020 Spreadsheet will soon be available for all academic teams to populate. This spreadsheet helps the service areas prepare ebs (our Student Management System (SMS)) for the following year with regard to new programmes, and programme changes. An email will be sent to all Heads of Schools and Programme Leads shortly with more details.
- Type 2 changes to sub-degree programmes – the deadline to have all completed documents to QEC for any type 2 change for 2020 is by 13 August.
- Type 1 changes for degree and sub-degree courses for Semester 1 2020 can be submitted when ready, and the final deadline to meet the 12 November Academic Board is 29 October (completed documents to be received by QEC).
Please contact us or email any queries to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Semester 1 course evaluation block is open until 7 July. Don’t forget to check the Response Rate Tracker on your EvaluationKIT dashboards for participation rates.
- The Student Opinion Survey is currently running for Semester 1 programmes (or other completing students) as advised by Heads of School. This closes 7 July.
Check out our guide: Tips for increasing student engagement in the evaluation process
Events coming up
In the next month the following learning and teaching events and training sessions are available to be enrolled in via My learning:
Learning and Teaching Development Workshops
- Literacy and Numeracy for Learning
Cromwell - 15 & 16 July (2 days)
Dunedin - 18 & 19 July (2 days)
- Fundamentals of Tertiary Teaching & Learning
Dunedin - 17 - 19 July (2.5 days)
- Learning Design for Teaching in a Tertiary Context
Dunedin - 25 July (1 day)
Please note: You don't need to be enrolled in the GDTE to attend these workshops. All staff are welcome!
Moodle Training Suite
- Orientation and Assisting Students (Moodle Training | Start Up Series)
Thursday 4 July
- Resources, Learning and Assessment Activities (Moodle Training | Creator Series)
Tuesday 9 July
Please note: all Moodle and Educational Technology Training Suite modules are also available as online self-paced options, which can be enrolled into via My learning.
Other Learning and Teaching Development events
- Observe a Teacher Project
Friday 5 July
As part of our work with Wintec, leader of the Sino-NZ model programme, we are currently preparing two programmes for visiting teachers from Xi'an Aeronautical Polytechnic Institute in China to take place in July. One is a six-week teacher training, with special emphasis on collaborations with industry and the other is a two-week innovation and entrepreneurship, showcasing OP’s approach to tertiary education.
Both programmes are being designed in close collaborations with the schools of Engineering and IT.
Learner Capability Framework
The Learner Capabilities Framework resource is well underway, and you may have noticed regular blogs posted up on Tūhono with some great materials and activities you can pick up and use in your teaching. The full suite of resources is currently being compiled on the Leaner Capability site. To be launched soon.
In the meantime, here is a link to the 25 learner capability blogs.
If you have any questions regarding Learner Capabilities, please feel free to contact Amber Paterson.
Together with People and Culture, ISS and Marketing and Communications, we launched the Tūhono Calendar earlier this year. The calendar includes upcoming Otago Polytechnic events as well as My Learning opportunities. You can search by event or week and enrol directly through the calendar.
In case you missed it
Some important need to know information, notices and blogs from the Learning and Teaching Development team:
- Subscribe to Tūhono Headlines
- Moodle Training Suite
- Learning and Teaching Development Events on Tūhono
- Your Academic Capability Partner
- Your Educational Technology Champion
Ka kite anō,
The Learning and Teaching Development team
Published on 26 Jun 2019
Orderdate: 26 Jun 2019
Expiry: 27 Aug 2021