Kia ora koutou,
Here we are at the end of another year! Before you head off on leave, here are some guidelines from Learning and Teaching Development on what to do when your Moodle course(s) finishes for the year.
Please note that we are not upgrading Moodle at the end of this year, so it should look and function just the same when you return in the new year.
Reusing your course
Complete the following steps once your students have completed their courses for the year or semester:
- Back up course - Create a backup of your course at the end of the year/semester which includes all student data (i.e. includes all resources, activities and student work). Please note: you must do this before you Reset your course, ready for next year
- Back up Gradebook results - Export a copy of your course Gradebook results for safe keeping
- Remove students - Break the link between EBS and Moodle for the current occurrence(s)
- Reset course - Deletes all student data (forums, assignments, quiz attempts etc)
- Clean up course - Delete previous backups, files and any courses that are no longer in use
Click on the links above for detailed instructions on how to complete each of these steps.
We now have external storage available to save backups of Moodle courses. In addition to helping reduce our Moodle disk space, this is to ensure you have a safe space to save copies of your student data for moderation purposes, and copies of courses that are no longer being used (but you don't yet want to delete completely).
Instructions for how to do this is now inlcluded in the Back up course page.
If you're teaching a fully online or blended course, your programme may have a different approach to reusing your courses (e.g. Midwifery, Vet Nursing or AIC). Please check with your Programme Coordinator or Ed Tech Champion.
Moodle Training Suite
If you're looking for some professional development or upskilling opportunities over the summer, the following modules from the Moodle Training Suite are available to enrol in for some online self-paced training (where you can either complete the full module and earn your badge, or dip into to gather just-in-time support).
- After Delivery – perfect for the end of year and includes the steps above to reuse your course in preparation for next year
- Before Delivery – prepare your course ready for the new semester, including enrolling students and a handy ‘New semester checklist’
- Orientation and Assisting Students – useful if you are new to using Moodle at OP or you want to orient yourself with how to navigate and update your Moodle preferences
- Resources, Learning and Assessment Activities – useful if you are updating or adding new activities and resources to your courses, ready for Semester one
- Moodle Templates – useful if your course uses the Blended course template and you want add or update any sections of your course
Additional online training modules are also available:
- Copyright and Open Educational Resources
- Course Administration Basics
- During Delivery
If you'd like a face-to-face workshop for your team (either on campus or via web conferencing) on any of the above modules in 2020, please get in touch with the Learning and Teaching Development team via Service to discuss your needs.
The Learning and Teaching Development team would like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year. We look forward to seeing you all back again in 2020.
Published on 11 Dec 2019
Orderdate: 11 Dec 2019
Expiry: 18 Dec 2020