If you feel unwell or are flatting with someone who is unwell…
1. Stay home and tell your lecturer or school administrator that you're unwell.
2. Ring Healthline 0800 358 5454 if you or your flatmate have Covid symptoms (check Covid symptoms here).
3. Continue stringent hygiene practices - regularly wash and thoroughly dry your hands; sneeze and cough into your elbow; and clean or disinfect shared surfaces regularly.
4. If you test positive for Covid-19, tell us as soon as you can by filling in this form.
5. If you need support, please reach out to our student support teams. You can find all their details here.
You should only get a Covid-19 test if
- you have symptoms, or
- you're a Household Contact.
Check out more info here about when you should get a test.
Getting a test in person
Other testing locations around New Zealand
- You can also call 0800-VIRUS-19 (0800 847 8719) between 8.30am - 4.30pm, seven days a week, for help accessing Covid-19 testing in other locations.
- Or visit this webpage to find a range of other testing locations around New Zealand.
COVID-19 testing at Dunedin Student Health
We are currently also offering Covid-19 tests at Student Health.
Please ONLY request to get tested if:
- you have COVID-19 symptoms (cough, runny nose, sore throat)
- you have been asked to by Public Health or another health official.
Please ring us to advise that you need a test (0800 762 786 / 03 479 6082). Do not just arrive in person as we need to ensure everyone's safety. Once we've confirmed that you do need to be tested, we'll let you know what you need to do.
Getting Rapid Antigen Tests (RATs)
If you have Covid symptoms or are an asymptomatic Household Contact of a positive Covid case, you can order Rapid Antigen Tests (RATs) through this website: https://requestrats.covid19.health.nz/
Ordering your RATs
- The tests are completely free.
- You need to order these tests online.
- You will then be given an order number and can collect your RATs from a collection site (quoting this order number).
Collecting your RATs
- You can collect these in person if you feel well enough OR someone can collect them on your behalf (friends, flatmates, family).
- And, if you can’t collect them and have no-one who can collect them on your behalf, tests can be delivered to you.
- There are lots of collection sites available throughout New Zealand. You can find all the collection sites listed here (and search by region/city): https://www.healthpoint.co.nz/covid-19/?covidTesting=rats
- Please remember to check the collection times that the tests are available at the collection site.
Dunedin/South Otago/West Otago collection sites
- Antidote (Gardens) or (Meridian) or (MacAndrew) or (North) or (Octagon)
- Dunedin Community Testing Centre (Malcolm Street)
- Unichem Taieri Pharmacy – Mosgiel
- Bates Pharmacy
- Unichem Greys Pharmacy
Accessing other testing
- You can also still access testing (RAT and PCR) at community testing centres and general practices – remember, you need to meet the testing criteria (i.e. you’re symptomatic or are a Household Contact of a Covid positive case).
- If you don’t meet the testing criteria, and want to get tested (for example, before visiting an elderly relative) you can buy tests at some pharmacies.
Reporting your test result
- Whether you test positive or negative when using a RAT, it’s important that you register this result through My Covid Record.
- You can either head to https://mycovidrecord.health.nz/ and log into your My Covid Record account OR call 0800 222 478 and press option 3.
- You can find a step-by-step guide for how to report your result in your My Covid Record here.
Telling Otago Polytechnic if you test positive
- If you test positive for Covid when using a RAT, you also need to tell us by by filling in this form.
- This form will ask for a few details and will ask if you need any kind of support (i.e. welfare checks, food/medicine).
- You can also visit our Covid-19 support webpage to see what resources are available at OP and in the community/online.
Student Health Centre
Harbour Terrace, M Block, Dunedin campus
Monday to Friday, 8.30am-5.00pm
Freephone 0800 762 786 (and ask for Student Health) or call direct +64 3 479 6082
The Student Health Centre is located on our Dunedin Campus. For students who have paid the Student Health Levy as part of their fees, the cost for a consultation is $15, or is free if you have a current Community Services card.
If you have not been charged the Student Health Levy (for example distance students), the service is still available but at a higher rate - please enquire for further details.
Student Health appointments
We are available for medical appointments Monday-Friday, 9.00am-4.30pm. However you will need to book in for a phone consultation first before being seen.
This means our doors will remain locked and all appointments will be triaged over the phone. Please be aware there may be a delay in answering your call but please be patient and we will answer as soon as we can.
- All patients must phone for an appointment - please do not arrive at Student Health in person.
- All patients will be triaged over the phone and depending on your symptoms and vaccination status a decision will be made about how your appointment will take place. This might be in person or via telehealth (phone or video).
- All appointments will incur the usual charges (including telehealth).
- If you are having a telehealth consult, please make sure you are available at the agreed time for your consultation. If the doctor is unable to get hold of you at that time, you will need to ring back and arrange another time. Missed appointments will still incur a fee.
Central Otago Campus
You may be entitled to a subsidy at these medical centres (please check at the time you make the appointment). Please make sure you call ahead to these medical centres as well.
Cromwell Family Practice
Phone +64 3 445 4666
2 McNulty Rd, Cromwell 9310
Aspiring Medical Centre
Phone +64 3 443 0725
23 Cardrona Valley Road, 9305
Cromwell Medical Centre
Phone +64 3 445 1119
190 Waenga Drive, Cromwell
Wanaka Medical Centre
Phone +64 3 443 0710
23 Cardrona Valley Rd, 9305
Phone +64 3 445 4588
1A Traders Lane, Cromwell
Auckland International Campus
Please contact our Student Success team for advice regarding recommended medical centres in Auckland.
Phone +64 21 0282 8711