Our Strategic goals
Understand our five strategic goals which keeps us focused on what matters most.
Achieve excellent outcomes for our learners
- provide best practice, research-engaged learning and teaching to maximise learner success - academic and employment
- provide fit-for-purpose and attractive learning and teaching facilities (space, IT, equipment) for all campus locations
- provide a comprehensive and integrated set of support services for learners to maximise academic and employment success
- develop academic staff as skilled and suitably-qualified educators
- ensure our learning and teaching is informed by research
- ensure our graduates are prepared for a global workforce
- improve secondary-tertiary participation
Attract and sustain exceptional staff who make a difference
- provide an outstanding and satisfying work environment, supportive of high performance, and staff engagement
- develop staff as globally-informed and expert practitioners in their fields
- recruit and retain a diverse workforce reflective of student demographics.
Be a responsive treaty partner in meeting the education aspirations of mana whenua
- ensure an effective partnership with Kāi Tahu and Ngāti Whātua
- attract, support and retain Māori staff proportionate to Māori learner participation
- ensure staff develop a baseline cultural competence: Māori cultural practices, Te Reo, Tikaka, Treaty, inclusive pedagogies, etc.
- ensure Māori learners participate and succeed as Māori, achieving at the same or a better rate as non-Māori
- embed Māori knowledge and perspectives in all programmes of learning
- foster Māori research and contribute to the advancement of mātauranga Māori
Note: Kāi Tahu is Mana Whenua in Otago, Ngāti Whātua in Auckland.
Be a committed and agile organisation
- make a consistent and annual operating surplus to fund future investment
- continue to diversify revenue through consultancies and microcredentials (EduBits)
- improve the viability and sustainability of Central Campus
- grow Auckland International Campus as a profitable and long term sustainable business
- achieve world class quality management in both learning and teaching, and research, in organisation and management
- secure the confidence of our stakeholders
- strengthen our culture as an innovative, caring, accountable organisation committed to excellence
Lead the way in sustainable practice
- embed education for sustainability in all undergraduate programmes so that our graduates may practise sustainably in their chosen vocation
- operate sustainably in all that we undertake, maximising staff and student wellbeing, minimising our environmental footprint and expanding our environmental hand print
- encourage sustainable practice in our communities, trees planted in sustainable forestry, volunteering
If you’re not sure what to study and would like some guidance, we’re here to help. Feel free to chat to us directly about any questions you may have.