Snow Days at OP
We know the weather in Otago can sometimes turn a bit nasty! If we have a widespread and disruptive snow or ice weather event, the following process will happen at the Dunedin and Cromwell campuses.
If the weather is disruptive, OP normally has a delayed start time of 10.00am. This decision is made by the Chief Executive (or a delegate) by 7.30am.
The decision to delay our start time will be based on the following:
- suggestion from the NZ Police for people to stay at home
- whether buses are running
- if schools have a delayed start
- if there are extensive road closures (road information is available on 0800 444 449).
If the weather situation has not cleared and road closures remain, the Dunedin Campus will be closed for the day. This decision will be made by 8.30am.
Please check these channels for updates about a delayed start or full closure:
- announcements on More FM 97.4, The Hits 89.4 and Radio Dunedin 99.8 FM from 7.45am at the latest (these will be updated half hourly until the 10.00am broadcast)
- Otago Polytechnic website homepage
- Otago Polytechnic Facebook page
- Otago Polytechnic 0800 answerphone message (0800 762 786)
- message on Student Hub
- all student email
- message on Moodle
- all staff email
- message on Tūhono (for OP staff only)
It’s possible that, even with a delayed start, specific courses or activities for particular students will be cancelled for the day. Individual Heads of School will ensure that appropriate announcements are made on More FM 97.4, Moodle and by email.
If you’re not sure what’s specifically happening with your programme during a delayed start or full closure, please reach out to your lecturer.
Coming on to campus
If we have a delayed start or close for the day, the Campus Services on-call staff member will ensure buildings are locked down in the normal process for after-hours access which will mean that the usual after-hours access will be available to students for study.
Cromwell Campus are responsible for their own communications and will connect with learners and staff.
The Campus Coordinator will make a decision about closure for the day and is then responsible for communication.
As staff travel from Queenstown, Wanaka, Alexandra and Roxburgh, a decision is made as early as 6.00am.
A cancellation notice is issued via radio station Media Works, which covers the Central Otago area, at about 6.15am.
It is more common that the Central Otago Campus has to close early to ensure that people can get home from work.