We’re committed to making a difference to the environment. Our goal is to minimise our environmental impact while growing our sustainable practices.
Playing our role
Sustainability is one of our key values at Otago Polytechnic, influencing our day-to-day operations and the way we teach our programmes. On campus we have vigorous composting and recycling programmes, and our students and staff are encouraged to lead green initiatives.
- we measure our greenhouse gas emissions and publicly report on them
- we set a public emissions reduction target consistent with keeping within 2° of warming and have committed to being carbon neutral by 2030
- we have committed to 100% of our undergraduate programmes directly addressing issues of sustainable practice
Sustainability is a cornerstone of our decision-making and strategy as an organisation. From our operations and teaching, to our engagement with businesses, communities and other institutions, we believe sustainability is a key part of building a better future.
Our goal is for every student to graduate with the skills and knowledge to become sustainable practitioners in their chosen fields. We're also working towards using our campus as a ‘sustainability model’ for others to follow.
Our vision for sustainability includes:
- developing a framework to ensure we meet our sustainability objectives
- exploring the challenges, and asking the hard questions
- focusing on student engagement by weaving sustainable practice into all our programmes
- making long-term sustainability goals to work towards
- turning vision into practice by ‘walking the talk’
OP is involved in a number of initiatives, including community projects and volunteer work. We are committed to being a socially responsible organisation. We want communities to benefit from our actions, and for our students and staff to be active participants in caring for our wider communities.
Teaching sustainable practice
We integrate sustainable practice into all our educational programmes as well as providing a range of qualifications in sustainable practice. From construction to nursing, design to engineering and beyond, learning sustainable practices sets our students up to think green as a natural part of their practices.
Our students are also involved in research projects with a sustainability focus, enabling them to develop new responses to environmental and social challenges. Our goal is that every graduate has the skills and knowledge to act as a sustainable practitioner in their field.
Our goal is to minimise our environmental footprint and to share our sustainability journey with others. We have a range of on-campus initiatives, from the Living Campus project and Sustainable Lens, to the Waste Exchange initiative, energy monitoring and sustainable purchasing.Explore more about these initiatives, and others in our Make a Difference Guide