More for your future
Start mid-year 2023
Study can help you get more out of life. More opportunity and more flexibility for you and your whānau. It’s more possible than you think.
More options: a new qualification gives you adaptability to the changing job market. Whatever your goals, we have a qualification to get you there.
More skills: hands-on learning means you gain the practical experience employers value.
More growth: more opportunity whether it means a promotion or beginning a new career.
More confidence: once you’ve done the work, you have the skills. Go boldly into your future.
Featured Mid-Year Qualifications
- New Zealand Certificate in Animal Care (Level 3) (Companion Animals) — This programme is your first step towards an animal-related profession such as kennel and cattery management, pet grooming, wildlife management or education.
- New Zealand Certificate in Animal Management (Pet Grooming) (Level 4) — This new programme recognises the role of the pet groomer in the routine healthcare of our companion pets.
- New Zealand Certificate in Animal Healthcare Assisting (Level 4) (Companion Animal Healthcare) or (Rural Animal Healthcare) — Designed to create a training pathway for those wanting a rewarding career as an Animal Healthcare Assistant, this new programme recognises the role as distinct from a Veterinary Nurse or Veterinary Technician.
- New Zealand Certificate in Apiculture (Level 3) — With this programme, you’ll gain the skills and confidence to manage your own beehives.
- New Zealand Certificate in Apiculture (Level 4) — Gain the skills to operate as a Leading Hand in a commercial bee product producer or to run your own commercial operation.
- New Zealand Certificate in Apiculture (Queen Bee Rearing) (Level 4) — This programme will teach you how to rear queen bees for a commercial bee product producer or to operate your own queen-rearing operation. You’ll be able to work independently or supervise others.
- New Zealand Certificate in Financial Services (Level 5) — This certificate is ideal for financial services professionals seeking to advance their skills and knowledge in the finance industry.
- New Zealand Certificate in Business (Accounting Support Services) (Level 4) — This course is delivered outside core working hours, allowing extra flexibility to fit study around your work life. You'll gain the knowledge to take on an entry-level accounting support role within an organisation.
- New Zealand Diploma in Business (Level 5) (Accounting) or (Leadership and Management) —Develop work-ready knowledge and skills that can be applied in a range of operational business contexts before choosing to focus on either Accounting or Leadership & Management.
- Bachelor of Applied Management — Gain a business degree based in real-world knowledge. As organisations are constantly changing, real-life learning is more relevant than ever.
- Bachelor of Applied Management (Accounting) — If you are wanting to become a professional accountant, a chartered accountant or a certified public accountant certified by Chartered Accountants ANZ or CPA Australia, the Bachelor of Applied Management (Accounting) is an ideal qualification for you.
- Graduate Diploma in Accounting — Perfect for you if you want to upskill and enhance your job or promotion prospects. This programme will allow you to extend your knowledge in a complementary discipline without having to undertake a full degree.
New Zealand Certificate in Digital Media and Design (Level 4) — Build the skills and portfolio you need to apply for a diploma or degree-level programme. If further study isn't your end goal, this qualification will prepare you for a junior role in a creative workplace. This is also a great qualification to test if the creative industry is right for you.
Begin your journey in the hospitality and culinary arts industry. These qualifications will open doors to exciting industries with a huge range of job opportunities in restaurants, bars, cafés, catering companies, vineyards, or hotels.
- New Zealand Certificate in Cookery (Level 3) - Learn essential food preparation and cookery techniques and gain valuable commercial and kitchen experience in our training restaurant.
Grow your skills in horticulture in the student capital of New Zealand and one of the country’s best centres of learning.
- Certificate in Land Skills (Level 2) - A place to start if you want to work in farming, horticulture, agriculture, conservation or other outdoor-related areas.
- New Zealand Certificate in Horticulture Services (Amenity) (Level 4) - Study full-time on campus or part-time alongside employment in the horticulture industry.
- Te Whakamahi Whenua (Level 3) - Understand the steps needed towards protecting and enhancing our natural environment.
- New Zealand Certificate in Horticulture (Nursery Production) (Level 3) and New Zealand Certificate in Horticulture Production (Fruit Production) (Level 4) — This one-year programme combines our level 3 and level 4 qualifications to fast-track you to a career in horticulture.
- New Zealand Diploma in Horticulture Production (Fruit Production) or (Wine Growing) (Level 5) - Study online to complement your work in the industry and graduate with the skills to manage an orchard or vineyard. This part-time programme is run at night so you can learn while continuing to develop your skills, and online so you can get qualified from anywhere.
- New Zealand Certificate in Land Based Sustainability Practices (Level 3) - Learn to identify and apply sustainable practices associated with water, riparian margins, native plants, composting and conservation. Meet the growing demand for people will knowledge in sustainability.
- New Zealand Certificate in Horticulture (General) (Level 3) - This 100% online course gives you a well-rounded education on the fundamentals of growing plants.
- New Zealand Certificate in Horticulture (Nursery Production) (Level 3) - work based — It provides the perfect opportunity for you to upskill via online learning whilst using your workplace as a setting to practice your developing skills.
- New Zealand Certificate in Horticulture Production (Fruit Production) (Level 4) - work based — Learn while working in the fruit production or viticulture industry. Enjoy a 50/50 mix of theory and practical study, and use your workplace as a setting to practice your developing skills.
- New Zealand Certificate in Information Technology Essentials (Level 4) - Begin here to develop the foundation skills in IT and gain practical experience in this industry.
- Bachelor of Information Technology - During this hands-on degree, you'll cover a broad general knowledge of IT and then focus on an area that interests you most. Through a series of projects, you'll gain industry-relevant techniques so you can hit the ground running.
- Graduate Certificate in Information Technology (Level 7) — This certificate is ideal for you if you have a degree in another subject and want to develop your computing skills, or for IT graduates who want to enhance their knowledge in a specialist area. This programme can also be studied part-time alongside full-time employment and can be tailored to suit your needs.
- New Zealand Certificate in Exercise (Level 4) - With hands-on teaching in our purpose-built gym and real industry work experience, you will gain the skills and knowledge to become a first-class exercise professional.
- New Zealand Certificate in Exercise (Level 5) - This programme will also take you through nutrition and behaviour, so you will become fully prepared to work with clients in a holistic manner.
- New Zealand Certificate in Early Childhood Education and Care (Level 4) — You'll learn how to be an inclusive educator, promoting diversity and the place of Māori as tangata whenua. This programme can also act as a pathway into higher-level learning, leading to a teaching qualification.
Learn the basis of the trade and know your way around the tools needed to work as a professional in the industry. Our qualifications are designed to provide you with a head-start for a future apprenticeship. This is a great place to start if you want to gain confidence in your skills and abilities.
- New Zealand Certificate in Heavy Automotive Engineering (Level 4) (Road Transport) or (Plant and Equipment) — Continue developing your career in the automotive industry by learning how to safely and effectively diagnose and repair faults that are commonly encountered on heavy vehicles.
- New Zealand Certificate in Electric Vehicle Automotive Engineering (Level 5) — This programme is designed for experienced automotive engineering technicians who want to work in an advanced technical role, specialising in electric vehicles.
- New Zealand Certificate in Bicycle Servicing (Level 3) — Learn to service a wide range of bicycles, components and bicycle systems, including e-bikes.
- New Zealand Certificate in Bicycle Mechanics (Level 4) — You will add more advanced techniques such as wheel building, suspension servicing, frame preparation and e-Bike diagnostics to your existing abilities and hone your previous knowledge to methodically diagnose, repair, overhaul and rebuild bicycles and components.
- New Zealand Certificate in Carpentry (Level 4) — This is an apprenticeship qualification to become a qualified builder, and a pathway to becoming a Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP). Work as an apprentice under the supervision of a qualified builder, learn from industry professionals and gain sought-after skills through a carpentry apprenticeship pathway.
- New Zealand Certificate in Electrical Engineering Theory and Practice (Trade) (Level 4) — Gain the skills and knowledge to work independently as an Electrician. Upon successful completion of this qualification, you can apply to the EWRB for registration.
- New Zealand Certificate in Plumbing, Gasfitting and Drainlaying (Pre-apprenticeship) (Level 3) - This qualification will put you on the right path towards being a highly competent, and fully qualified plumber.
Prepare for tertiary study
Study preparation programmes are designed to help you if you don’t meet the entry requirements for a course you want to study.
“Otago Polytechnic had the best graduate stats, post graduate stats, and employment stats. I was ecstatic when I was accepted. The resources there are amazing, and there’s a really good mix of theoretical and practical.”
Bachelor of Nursing Graduate