New Zealand Diploma in Business (Leadership and Management) (Level 5)
This programme is for international students only. It's very practical and, with courses such as Business Environment, Leadership and Organisational Planning, will give you the skills you need to make you a valued employee who can contribute from day one in an organisation.
About the programme
Focus on the skills you need to work effectively and successfully in a range of operational roles in business.
All business organisations need highly capable and competent members of a team who demonstrate the potential to lead staff, ensure targets align with strategic objectives, manage projects, and contribute to business planning to achieve high performance and productivity.
This programme is very practical and, with courses such as Business Environment, Leadership and Organisational Planning, will give you the skills you need to make you a valued employee who can contribute from day one in an organisation.
A great springboard into further study, graduates of this programme are eligible to enter the second year of our Bachelor of Applied Management degree. You could also enter other relevant industry or professional qualifications at Level 6 or above.
On campus or online
We offer this programme to international students on campus in Auckland. Or international students outside of New Zealand can study this programme online.
What You Study
This programme teaches you to think conceptually and to adapt to change. It's designed to allow you to:
- apply a broad range of generic business knowledge and skills as well as specialised knowledge and skills in your selected field of business
- be proactive to changes in the local, national and global business environment
- demonstrate business skills including problem solving, decision-making, negotiating, and using technology effectively
- develop and manage innovative approaches to business practice
- practice business in a legal, sustainable, ethical and culturally-appropriate manner
- appreciate the impact of different cultures on business practice in New Zealand
- communicate, collaborate and build networks effectively with a diverse range of individuals, teams and organisations
- gather and select information from a diverse range of sources to inform business practice
- take responsibility for continued learning and career development.
You will study eight courses during this programme, each worth 15 credits.
- Business Functions
- Business Environment
- Organisations in a New Zealand Context
- Principles of Change
- Organisational Planning
- Organisational Management and Compliance
- Project Management.
*The online version of this programme is the Open Polytechnic programme. Otago Polytechnic is accredited to offer this to online students. The qualification will be awarded by Otago Polytechnic.
It is expected that you will study for 37.5 hours per week, including a minimum of 8 hours per week in structured direct learning, some hours in an applied workplace or learning environment and up to 27 hours per week in self-directed study.
- The minimum academic entry criteria is NCEA Level 2 including 10 UE literacy credits; however it is preferred that applicants have achieved NCEA Level 3.
- Students older than 20 years of age must have equivalent life/work experience or an equivalent qualification to the above.
- If English is not your first language, you must provide:
- New Zealand University Entrance OR
- Overall Academic IELTS 5.5 with no individual band score lower than 5.0 (achieved in one test completed in the last two years), OR
- Acceptable alternative evidence of the required IELTS (see here for NZQA proficiency table and here for list of recognised proficiency tests).
Please note: This programme is not available for domestic students.
What if I don't meet the entry requirements?
Our Bridging to business programme (New Zealand Certificate in Study and Career Preparation Level 4) offers the perfect pathway into this qualification.
If you need to improve your English to apply for this programme, you could apply for one of our New Zealand Certificate in English Language programmes which we offer at our Auckland International Campus and online.
Covid-19 relief scholarships
We have scholarships available due to the impacts of Covid-19 for international students applying in all subject areas at our Auckland International Campus.
The tuition fees shown above are approximate only. There may be a slight fee increase per year once Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) rules and guidelines are applied.
Need more info?
For more information, please reach out to a member of our international marketing team for a chat.
International Market Manager
Greater China, South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia and Mongolia markets
+64 21 025 16618
International Market Manager
Rest of the world
+64 27 546 2737
Rest of the world
+64 27 586 3699
A change for 2023 enrolments
When you apply to study with Otago Polytechnic in 2023, you will be enrolled with Te Pūkenga, the new national network of vocational and applied education in Aotearoa New Zealand. You will learn in the same way, in the same place, and with the same people. The great news is that this enables us to share skills and knowledge across a network of passionate education providers, to better help you succeed. Enrolling in programmes that start in 2023, means that you will graduate with a Te Pūkenga qualification.
While every effort is made to ensure that this sheet is accurate, Otago Polytechnic reserves the right to amend, alter or withdraw any of the contained information. The fees shown in this document are indicative only. Both domestic and international fees are subject to change and are dependent on the development and implementation of Government policies. Please note that additional fees may from time to time be required for external examination, NZQA fees and/or additional material fees.