Life Drawing Night Class
Life Drawing class is for those with previous drawing experience wanting to develop their drawing technique.The aim of this class is to expand your perception and ability to express that perception through drawing.
About the course
“I see the entire truth, not only what is on the surface.” – Auguste Rodin
The aim of this class is to expand your perception and ability to express that perception through drawing. If you are the only window to your world, your drawing will naturally explore your own perception and how you interpret what your senses tell you. The focus is on the experience of drawing more than a ‘finished product’, and that you are accepting, rather than critical, of your efforts.
The subject of the drawing is the human figure because once you can draw this you will be able to draw anything. The human figure is the most complex natural form and it provides us with the ultimate concentration of feeling and form.
This class is suitable for beginners through to experienced artists.
This course is offered on Mondays from 6pm-8pm. One class is offered per week for eight weeks (term 3) or for seven weeks (terms 1, 2 and 4). We offer one intake per term:
|Term one||12 February - 12 April|
|Term two||29 April – 21 June|
|Term three||15 July - 6 September|
|Term four||16 September - 8 November|
It is only possible to enrol for one term at a time. There will be no classes on public holidays.
Enrolments for the following term will open on the Wednesday before the current term starts, i.e. approximately 9 weeks before the start date of the next term you wish to enrol for.
What if I want to attend the same course next term?
If you want to repeat this course, you will need to apply and pay for each term separately, via our Eventbrite platform (by clicking the link above).
- Term 1, 2 and 4: $210 per term
- Term 3: $240 per term
Drawing room etiquette and model protocol
These classes have nude models (male and female). Classes can only be held if we have the respect and confidence of the models. Keep in mind that you are expected to have good life room manners at all times.
Please observe the following rules:
- No cellphones, personal music devices or photographic equipment are allowed in life classes
- Students are expected to arrive 10 minutes early so they can set up and be ready to start on time
- If a life model is working, students and visitors will knock and wait outside the room until a pose is broken and the model is robed
- Models should have preference over room temperature, students will not move the heaters
- It is expected that students be conscious of the model's personal space
- No unnecessary talking, please.
Learners under 16
- We welcome learners under 16 but they do need parental consent to take this night class.
- If you are a learner under 16, please do the following:
- ask your parent or guardian if it's okay for you to do this night class
- apply online and tick the box during the application process that says that you are under 16
- ask your parent or guardian to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (Art Night Class Administration) letting us know that they're happy for you to take the night class.
You will need to bring the following materials with you
- 2 x bulldog clips
- A2 sheets of newsprint and cartridge paper – or whatever you like to draw on
- Charcoal or conte drawing sticks (or any other material you like to draw with)
This class will be taught by Steev Peyroux.
Steev is a well known local artist, and Technical Teacher in Painting at the Dunedin School of Art. His work explores atmospheric states in the land.
Classes are held in the Life Drawing Room at the Dunedin School of Art. Please click here for a map.
Go to the main entrance of the Dunedin School of Art at 19 Riego St (off the Anzac Avenue end of Albany St). The Life Drawing Room is on the first floor at the far end of the building. Please arrive at least 10 minutes early to allow time for set-up.
For our 2024 enrolments you may be issued a full (except for Eventbrite fees) automatic refund up to 7 days before your event starts by requesting a refund through Eventbrite.
Refund requests after this date can be made by contacting email@example.com (Art Night Class Administration). These will be accepted on a case-by-case basis when exceptional circumstances are present. No refunds will be accepted after the start date of the class.
Please note, classes are offered on the basis that enrolment is for the full course.
Got a question?
For enquiries, please email Artnightclass@op.ac.nz
We are part of Te Pūkenga
When you apply to study with Otago Polytechnic, you will be enrolled with Te Pūkenga, the new national network of vocational and applied education in Aotearoa New Zealand. You will learn in the same way, in the same place, and with the same people, and you will graduate with a Te Pūkenga qualification.
While every effort is made to ensure that this sheet is accurate, Otago Polytechnic reserves the right to amend, alter or withdraw any of the contained information. The fees shown in this document are indicative only. Both domestic and international fees are subject to change and are dependent on the development and implementation of Government policies. Please note that additional fees may from time to time be required for external examination, NZQA fees and/or additional material fees.