Learn how to apply agrichemicals safely and accurately, according to the Agrichemical User Code of Practice NZS8409. This one-day course recognises agrichemical users who are able to demonstrate competence in the use of agrichemicals within a specific horticultural or viticultural sector.
About the course
This one-day course recognises agrichemical users who are able to demonstrate a competence in the use of agrichemicals within a specific horticulture or viticulture sector.
The Standard Certificate is intended for those working independently with responsibility for a single site/property (PCBU) and may have responsibility for supervising/managing others.
They are likely to be operating in a known set of circumstances, for example, one location, one crop and/or equipment type (or operating under the supervision of someone with an Advanced or RCA certificate).
In 2023 this course will run on
- 26 October
- One season’s spraying experience.
The course trainer will assume that you have a basic level of knowledge of agrichemicals and their use so they can focus on new, higher-level content.
Please note: This course is subject to minimum numbers enrolling.
Study and assessment
The course covers learning outcomes relating to the core information within NZS8409 and relevant legislation and regulations, with a focus on compliance and the safe use of agrichemicals.
- Unit 21563 - Demonstrate understanding of the legislation, regulations and standards for the use of agrichemicals.
- Completion of theory assessment (open book)
- Demonstration of skill in a simulated teaching environment
- 8 completed spray diaries covering 8 independent spray events or spray diaries in a typical season e.g. you may work for Department of Conversation and spray only 4 times a season. Four spray diaries would be adequate in this case.
- A copy of the inventory of agrichemicals stored at your workplace.
The inventory must include:
- the product name for each agrichemical stored
- its UN Number (found on the Haznote and SDS for a particular agrichemical)
- maximum likely quantity of an agrichemical held at the workplace
- any specific storage or segregation requirements for the agrichemicals stored
Growsafe have developed a number of templates for use to record spray events and assist in preparing an inventory.
Growsafe Spray Diary templates can be downloaded here:
Growsafe Inventory templates can be downloaded here:
Renewal of Growsafe Standard
The Growsafe Standard certificate is valid for 5 years from the date of completion of both written and practical assessments (the date of the course). Standard certification must be renewed every 5 years, before the expiry date. Otherwise the status of the registration will change to ‘expired’.
Expired certificates can be renewed or reissued depending on the length of time since expiry:
|Less than 12 months||Renewal course only required|
|More than 12 months||A full course is required rather than renewal.
The certificate is re-issued rather than renewed
Private company - want different dates?
- Courses can be arranged outside the dates advertised for private companies and the trainer will travel if there is a minimum of 12 and maximum of 15 participants.
- Travel and accommodation expenses must be paid by the company if the course is delivered outside of Central Otago.
We are part of Te Pūkenga
When you apply to study with Otago Polytechnic, you will be enrolled with Te Pūkenga, the new national network of vocational and applied education in Aotearoa New Zealand. You will learn in the same way, in the same place, and with the same people, and you will graduate with a Te Pūkenga qualification.
While every effort is made to ensure that this sheet is accurate, Otago Polytechnic reserves the right to amend, alter or withdraw any of the contained information. The fees shown in this document are indicative only. Both domestic and international fees are subject to change and are dependent on the development and implementation of Government policies. Please note that additional fees may from time to time be required for external examination, NZQA fees and/or additional material fees.