Federation of Graduate Women
New Zealand is one of 61 countries with a national branch of the Federation of Graduate Women (FGW) affiliated to the International FGW whose headquarters are in Geneva, Switzerland. All women degree graduates may join the NZFGW.
The aims of the Federation are:
- To promote understanding and cooperation among degree graduate women resident in New Zealand.
- To represent and act for degree graduate women in matters in which they are interested.
- To promote, through affiliation with the IFGW, understanding and friendship among degree graduate women of the world, irrespective of race, religion or political opinion.
- To encourage research work by degree graduate women.
- To encourage the full application of the knowledge and skills of degree graduate women to the problems which arise at all levels of public life, whether regional, national or worldwide, and to encourage their participation in the solving of these problems.
Membership of the IFGW entitles degree graduates to apply for many postgraduate awards. Members receive regular newsletters, and may obtain letters of introduction to other branches of the IFGW when travelling overseas. Members retain contact with other degree graduate women, and by corporate action contribute to community, educational and controversial issues. Members of all branches contribute to the preparation of submissions.
Local branch programmes include talks on topical subjects, panel discussions, study groups and social activities.
List of local branch secretaries:
- CANTERBURY - PO Box 3088, Christchurch Mail Centre, Christchurch 8140
- GISBORNE - 51 Island Road, Gisborne 4010
- HAWKES BAY - 4/31 Shakespeare Road, Napier 4110
- MANAWATU - PO Box 1713, Palmerston North Central, Palmerston North 4440
- NORTH SHORE - PO Box 33-1050, Takapuna, North Shore City 0740
- OTAGO - PO Box 6334, Dunedin North, Dunedin 9059
- SOUTHLAND - PO Box 98, Invercargill 9840
- WAIKATO - PO Box 7065, Hamilton East, Hamilton 3247
- WELLINGTON - PO Box 2006, Wellington 6140