Prove yourself to prospective employers – and stand out from the crowd!
Employers tell us they want graduates with well-developed transferable skills – skills that are useful across all jobs and industries.
We’ve identified the ones employers want most, which we call learner capabilities.
We’ll help you to develop these capabilities during your studies – and prove that you have them – through a process called i am capable.
- Become more employable by developing the capabilities that employers seek
- Develop a ‘Capability Profile’ to provide to employers, with validated evidence of your capabilities
- Prove that you are adaptable, proactive and work-ready!
Our learner capabilities include:
- Communicates effectively in writing
- Communicates effectively verbally
- Communicates effectively visually
- Displays effective interpersonal behaviour
- Displays cultural competence
- Displays bi-cultural proficiency in a New Zealand context
- Works independently
- Works in teams
- Reflects on performance and applies personal learning
- Acts responsibly
- Practises health and safety
- Demonstrates digital competence
- Organises effectively
- Demonstrates resilience
- Thinks creatively
- Displays leadership
- Inspires others
- Practises sustainably
- Practises ethically
- Thinks critically
- Solves problems
- Communicates bilingually
- Displays work life balance
- Performs community service.
i am capable is embedded in all Otago Polytechnic programmes of study, but participation is not compulsory.