In an emergency
In an emergency, please follow all instructions for emergency evacuations, whether it is a practice drill or real fire. Note that Otago Polytechnic has regular fire drill practices and evacuations.
On the continuous sounding of the alarm:
- All occupants must evacuate the building in an orderly manner via the stairwell or nearest designated exit. The lift must not be used.
- All doors should be closed when the area is clear.
- Occupants should assemble in a designated assembly point clear of the building.
Refer to evacuation plans displayed in hallways and classrooms for assembly points.
Occupants must not return to the building until an all clear is given. The all clear is usually given by intermittent short bursts of the fire alarm sounder, or as instructed by the Building Warden or the Fire Service.
Earthquake evacuation procedure
- Stay where you are.
- Move no more than a few steps to a safe place, then drop, cover and hold on.
- If inside, get under a heavy piece of furniture or a doorway, or stay low alongside an inside wall. Keep away from windows.
- If in a lift, stop at the nearest floor and get out.
- If outside, stay outside and keep clear of buildings and power lines.
Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
There are 3 AED located on and around campus:
- A Block – Adjacent to Room A120a
- H Block – Lift Lobby
- L Block – Main Reception Area
- Z Block – Sargood Centre – Tapuae (Gymnasium)
- M Block – Manaaki – Student Health – Treatment Room
- Roberston Library - Lending Area, Bottom of main stairwell (not owned by Otago Polytechnic)
A defib is also available at Central campus
For a map of AED locations in the greater student area please check out AED Locations
Who to contact in an emergency:
New Zealand 0800 762 786
International +64 3 477 3014
Health & Safety Manager
DDI +64 3 474 8468
Mobile +64 21 735 439