- Registered New Zealand beauty therapist
- Cosmetic representative
- Mobile beauty therapist
What will this programme cover?
- Anatomy and physiology
- Facial treatments
- Make-up services
- Cosmetic enhancements
- Massage treatments
- Professional practice
- Nail services
- Waxing services
Pathway into this programme
Our bridging to beauty certificate, the New Zealand Certificate in Study and Career Preparation (Level 3) provides the perfect pathway into this Level 4 programme.
- You must be at least 18 years old by the time the programme ends in November.
- Applicants under 20 must have successful completion of NCEA Level 2 (English and Science credits preferred) OR hold the New Zealand Certificate in Study and Career Preparation (Level 3) Beauty context OR hold the New Zealand Certificate in Makeup and Skin Care (Introduction) (Level 3) OR equivalent.
- Applications from mature students (over 20) are welcome and there are no minimum entry requirements.
- In exceptional circumstances, applicants under 20 who do not meet the academic entry requirements may be granted entry to the programme.
- International students will be individually assessed to ensure you are ready for this study.
- If English is not your first language, you must provide:
- New Zealand University Entrance OR
- Overall Academic IELTS 5.5 with no individual band score lower than 5.0 (achieved in one test completed in the last two years), OR
- Acceptable alternative evidence of the required IELTS (see here for NZQA proficiency table and here for list of recognised proficiency tests).
If you need to improve your English Language skills, we offer a wide range of English programmes.
If you don’t have the entry requirements above, talk to us about whether you have the equivalent skills and knowledge or to determine if this is the right programme for you.
Please note: this programme is subject to minimum numbers.
You must supply your academic records, along with certified copies of proof of identity and proof of residency (where appropriate).
- External examination fees
- Beauty therapist uniform.
Further study options
- New Zealand Diploma in Beauty Therapy (Level 5)
- New Zealand Diploma in Wellness and Relaxation Massage (Level 5)
These qualifications can lead to self-employment as a therapist or to a career as a beauty clinic manager/owner.
Student loans and allowances
Student loans and allowances are for domestic students only. For information about student loans and allowances please visit the Studylink website. It is important to apply for your student loan/allowance at the same time as you apply for this programme, due to the length of time Studylink take to process. Loan/allowance applications can be cancelled at any time if you decide to withdraw your programme application or if it is unsuccessful.
While every effort is made to ensure that this sheet is accurate, Otago Polytechnic reserves the right to amend, alter or withdraw any of the contained information. The fees shown in this document are indicative ONLY. Both domestic and international fees are subject to change and are dependent on the development and implementation of Government policies. Please note that additional fees may from time to time be required for external examination, NZQA fees and/or additional material fees.