- We prefer that you have completed our New Zealand Certificate in Hairdressing (Salon Support) (Level 3) or an equivalent qualification.
- Applications from mature students (over 20) are welcome.
- International students will be individually assessed to ensure you are ready for this study.
International students for whom English is not a first language, who come from countries with a visa decline rate of more than 20%
- You must demonstrate English language skills with an IELTS overall band score (academic) of 5.5, with no band score lower than 5.5, OR
- You must demonstrate a score from an internationally-recognised test equivalent to the required IELTS level.
- This score must come from one test taken in the preceding two years.
Domestic students for whom English is not a first language and international students from countries with a visa decline rate of less than 20%
- You must demonstrate English language skills with an IELTS overall band score (academic) of 5.5, with no band score lower than 5.5.
- You can provide an NZQA-approved English proficiency test to do so.
Please note: this programme is subject to minimum numbers.
You must supply certified copies of proof of identity and proof of residency (where appropriate).
- Some equipment.
You will study
|Course name||Course content|
|Complex styling||Blow waving
Long hair work
|Hair cutting||Razor and scissor cutting|
|Chemical reformation||Permanent waving
Straightening of the hair
|Colouring techniques||Full head weaving to highlight hair
|Hair and scalp treatments||In-depth consultation and analysis|
|Salon knowledge and skills||Hair and scalp conditions
Money matters om a salon environment
- Face-to-face hours = Monday, Wednesday and Thursday (9.00am-4.00pm)
- Teacher directed hours = 11.5 per week
- Self-directed hours = 4.25 per week
- Compulsory work placement = 90 hours
Student loans and allowances
Student loans and allowances are for domestic students only. For information about student loans and allowances please visit the Studylink website. It is important to apply for your student loan/allowance at the same time as you apply for this programme, due to the length of time Studylink take to process. Loan/allowance applications can be cancelled at any time if you decide to withdraw your programme application or if it is unsuccessful.
While every effort is made to ensure that this sheet is accurate, Otago Polytechnic reserves the right to amend, alter or withdraw any of the contained information. The fees shown in this document are indicative ONLY. Both domestic and international fees are subject to change and are dependent on the development and implementation of Government policies. Please note that additional fees may from time to time be required for external examination, NZQA fees and/or additional material fees.