What will this programme cover?
- Introduction to:
- salon operations
- salon knowledge and skills
- hair and scalp treatments
- basic styling
- Salon systems and processes
- Professional salon support practice
- Basic hair cutting and colouring skills
- Wet to dry styling.
Applicants under 20 years
- At least 8 credits NCEA Level 1 showing basic literacy or equivalent
- At least 8 credits NCEA Level 1 showing basic numeracy or equivalent.
Applicants from mature students (20 years or older)
- No formal qualification needed.
English language requirements
- All applicants must have a level of English sufficient to be able to study at this level. Those students whose first language is not English are required to demonstrate an IELTS Academic score of 5.0 with no band score lower than 5.0 OR equivalent from one test in the preceding two years.
- In exceptional circumstances, an applicant who does not meet the full entry requirements may be granted admission to the programme on the approval of the Academic Committee if the Committee is confident of the applicant's ability to successfully undertake the programme with a reasonable likelihood of success.
- Likelihood of success on the programme demonstrated through interview
- Physical fitness to withstand the demands of the hairdressing industry.
Please note: this programme is subject to minimum numbers.
All applicants are interviewed by the Programme Coordinator or delegate. Interviews are to provide information and guidance about the programme, ensuring that applicants are aware of the expectations and costs of study.
All applicants who fulfil the entry requirements will be accepted onto the programme until maximum student numbers are reached.
In cases where there are more successful applicants than places on the programme, applicants with the following attributes will be given preference:
- a genuine interest in the hairdressing industry
- enthusiasm in their interpersonal communication
- a commitment to their field of endeavour
- personal appearance that meet the requirements of industry
- an openness to different ideas, approaches, lifestyle and cultures.
Pathways to this programme
- New Zealand Certificate in Salon Skills (Level 2)
- New Zealand Certificate in Foundation Skills (Level 2)
Further study options
- Directed teaching hours in our training salon = 20 per week (Tuesday and Wednesday: 9.00am - 4.00pm; Thursday and Friday: 9.00am - 1.00pm)
- Student-managed learning hours = 13.5 per week
- Industry hours (compulsory) = 50 across the whole year.
- Stationary items:
- USB stick
- Folder, dividers, refill pad (or equivalent)
- Pencils, pens, rubber, pencil sharpener
- Coloured pencils/felts
- Glue stick
- Pencil case
- Extra printing money.
It is preferred that clothing and footwear is similar to what should be worn in the hairdressing industry and therefore could become an additional cost.
On occasion, we sometimes do themed photo shoots and you may be asked to provide a costume. However, these can easily be sought from a dollar store or OP shop.
Please note: We supply all hairdressing equipment and tools to support your practical training. You will also receive a hairdressing kit inclusive of your fees for your student-managed learning.
Youth Guarantee Scheme information
To be eligible for Youth Guarantee funding, you must:
- Be a domestic student between 16-19 years old
- OR be 15 years of age at the time when you commence the programme AND have an early leaving exemption from your school
- Not already hold a Level 3 qualification in any subject
- Have been thinking about leaving school and getting a job OR prefer to be working towards a career rather than staying at school OR have left school and are not sure how to enter higher education or employment
- Want to learn practical skills
- Be more motivated in a non-school setting and be prepared to enrol in a full-time programme.
Fees and allowances
The Youth Guarantee Scheme will cover tuition fees, material and equipment costs of your programme of study. 18-19 year olds enrolled in fees-free Youth Guarantee qualifications will now be able to access the course-related costs part of the student loan and student allowances if they meet the eligibility criteria. Those under 18 years old will not be able to access any part of the student loans. Funding for travel is available, conditions apply. Please visit the Studylink website for full details. We strongly recommend that you read this carefully prior to applying for this programme.
- There is not a separate Youth Guarantee application form. Please apply for this programme by using our standard Otago Polytechnic application form. To apply online, or to download a paper version, click the apply button at the top right hand corner of this page.
- If you meet the criteria for Youth Guarantee funding you will be offered the funding if it is available. We will ask you to let us know within two weeks if you do not wish to take up the funding.
- If there is no Youth Guarantee funding available, we will send you a letter advising you of this. Along with this letter, you will receive an invoice, terms and conditions, a Studylink brochure and an equipment list advising what you will need to purchase before starting your programme.
Student loans and allowances
Student loans and allowances are for domestic students only. For information about student loans and allowances please visit the Studylink website. It is important to apply for your student loan/allowance at the same time as you apply for this programme, due to the length of time Studylink take to process. Loan/allowance applications can be cancelled at any time if you decide to withdraw your programme application or if it is unsuccessful.
Links to useful websites
While every effort is made to ensure that this sheet is accurate, Otago Polytechnic reserves the right to amend, alter or withdraw any of the contained information. The fees shown in this document are indicative ONLY. Both domestic and international fees are subject to change and are dependent on the development and implementation of Government policies. Please note that additional fees may from time to time be required for external examination, NZQA fees and/or additional material fees.