Our upcoming intakes provide live industry projects for those looking to gain mentored professional experience as a:
- Software Developer
- User Experience (UX) Designer
- Data Analyst
- Business Analyst
What will I learn to do?
This Training Scheme runs over ten weeks. You will be in a real workplace, as part of a team of experienced professionals, working on a real industry project. You’ll be supported by classroom sessions as a group, along with some online learning you will do on your own.
By the end of this training scheme, you’ll be able to:
- evaluate project requirements and apply relevant industry-standard best practices to the development of digital technology product solutions
- apply Agile and design thinking practices to successfully develop digital technology product solutions
- evaluate the ethical impact of, and apply ethical considerations to, the development of digital technology product solutions
- critically evaluate own personal management, collaboration and communication techniques when working on a technical project with internal and external stakeholders
- critically reflect on own experience working on an industry project.
What's the workload?
All study is highly structured, guided and self-directed and you will need to have good time management skills. As a full-time student you should typically aim for a minimum of 40 hours of study per week, for ten weeks. You will be required to engage with the online resources and activities, and complete assessments and work placement.
What could I study next?
After successfully completing this Training Scheme certificate, you will be in a great position to apply for our Bachelor of Information Technology.
- Applicants must be over 18 years of age, have the legal right to study in New Zealand and have either:
- completed the Certificate in Digital Technology Product Solutions (Level 5) Training Scheme, or
- provide evidence of equivalent qualifications and/or experience.
- Applicants must provide a CV along with their application.
- All applicants must have a level of English sufficient to be able to study at this level. Otago Polytechnic’s policy AP0520.03 English Language Requirements for Those for whom English is an Additional Language applies.
If English is not your first language, you must provide:
- New Zealand University Entrance, or
- Overall Academic IELTS 5.5 with no individual band score lower than 5.0 (achieved in one test completed in the last two years), or
- Acceptable alternative evidence of the required IELTS (see here for NZQA proficiency table and here for list of recognised proficiency tests).
If you need to improve your English Language skills, Otago Polytechic offer a wide range of English programmes.
Pathways into the programme
All eligible applicants will be interviewed by the admissions panel at Mission Ready to ensure they have the foundation skills required for success.
- Travel, accommodation (if required) and food costs associated with attendance at classes.
- Learners enrolled in the face-to-face option will travel to the teaching location site at their own expense.
- All learners (face-to-face and distance) will travel to their work placement sites at their own expense.
- Broadband internet access.
- A computer or laptop device.
Please advise on your application if you do not have access to internet or a computer / laptop. Loan devices may be made available in extenuating circumstances.
Student loans and allowances info
Full-time domestic students of this programme are eligible for student loans and allowances (dependent on age and financial circumstances.) Please contact Studylink for additional information or phone 0800 88 99 00.
While every effort is made to ensure that this sheet is accurate, Otago Polytechnic reserves the right to amend, alter or withdraw any of the contained information. The fees shown in this document are indicative ONLY. Both domestic and international fees are subject to change and are dependent on the development and implementation of Government policies. Please note that additional fees may from time to time be required for external examination, NZQA fees and/or additional material fees.