2020 term dates
|Term one||17 February - 10 April|
|Term two||CANCELLED due to COVID 19 lockdown|
|Term three||13 July - 4 September|
|Term four||14 September - 6 November|
Please note: There will be no classes on public holidays.
What if I want to attend the same course next term?
If you want to repeat this course, you will need to apply and pay for each term separately via our Eventbrite platform (by clicking the APPLY tab in the top right corner of this page).
Learners under 16
- We welcome learners under 16 but they do need parental consent to take this night class.
- If you are a learner under 16, please do the following:
- ask your parent or guardian if it's okay for you to do this night class
- apply online and tick the box during the application process that says that you are under 16
- ask your parent or guardian to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (Art Night Class Administration) letting us know that they're happy for you to take the night class.
Classes are held in the Life Drawing Room at the Dunedin School of Art. Please click here for a map.
Go to the main entrance of the Dunedin School of Art at 19 Riego St (off the Anzac Avenue end of Albany St). The Life Drawing Room is on the first floor at the far end of the building.
Please arrive at least 10 minutes early to allow time for set up.
Holly MacKinven is a multi-media artist and teacher, who finds inspiration in the natural environment and in arts and crafts from around the world. Holly first exhibited her work in 1996, and over the years has shown in galleries both in Australia and New Zealand. In 2005 she graduated with a Master of Fine Arts (Hons) from the Elam School of Fine Arts where she specialised in painting. She has been a finalist a number of times in prestigious art awards such as The Wallace Art Award, The National Contemporary Art Award, and the New Zealand Painting and Printmaking Award. Her sculptural work 'Garden' is held in the James Wallace Permanent Collection.
Materials you will need to bring to the first class are:
- 4 x A3 or A2 sheets of drawing paper (any quality)
- 1 sheet of A3 or A2 watercolour paper (this can also be purchased per sheet in class – cash only $3.50/A2 sheet)
- willow charcoal
- drawing pencil (2B or softer)
- acrylic paint in the following colours:
- burnt sienna
- ultramarine blue
- titanium white
- A selection of brushes you already have, or, if you are purchasing some, one mid-size flat, one larger flat, and one mid-size round are suggested.
- 4 x bulldog clips
Students must be over 16 years of age.
For enquiries, please email Artnightclass@op.ac.nz
While every effort is made to ensure that this sheet is accurate, Otago Polytechnic reserves the right to amend, alter or withdraw any of the contained information. The fees shown in this document are indicative ONLY. Both domestic and international fees are subject to change and are dependent on the development and implementation of Government policies. Please note that additional fees may from time to time be required for external examination, NZQA fees and/or additional material fees.