- Open entry
- International students will be individually assessed to ensure they have an acceptable level of secondary school achievement.
- If English is not your first language, you must provide:
- New Zealand University Entrance OR
- Overall Academic IELTS 5.5 with no individual band score lower than 5.0 (achieved in one test completed in the last two years), OR
- Acceptable alternative evidence of the required IELTS (see here for NZQA proficiency table and here for list of recognised proficiency tests).
If you need to improve your English Language skills, we offer a wide range of English programmes.
- A portfolio or other evidence to demonstrate creative work (includes your creative works, a cover letter and curriculum vitae).
- in addition applicants may be required to attend an interview.
Examples of creative work
You need to submit a portfolio that demonstrates your design, graphic and/or art skills; consisting of 10-12 examples of original work showing a variety of techniques and interests.
> images of original objects that you have made
> digital art
> whatever you feel is visually informative about yourself and your abilities
Tell us why you want to do this programme, what interests you about it and what you have done to give yourself the best chance being accepted. We want to know your career goals and anything else you think is relevant to your application.
Curriculum Vitae - current
You can send us your portfolio in either digital or physical format but we prefer digital.
DIGITAL: Upload your portfolio as PDFs (preferably) - maximum file size is 2MB. If your file is a website or on another platform, either send us the live link in your letter or include a screen capture, or send us a USB or email it to EBSdes@op.ac.nz.
PHYSICAL: Submit photographs or colour photocopies of work in an A4/A3 clear file folder and clearly label with your name. No original pieces of work
Complete your application
Fill in the application form and upload your portfolio documents - creative works, cover letter and curriculum vitae.
Note: There is a 2MB file limit when you upload your documents. If the file is too big to upload, you can send it to us on a USB, using the address below or send us a link in your letter.
Apply with a paper form
Send your completed application form and all documents to/or deliver in person to:
Attn: Student Administrator for Design
Note: Remember to enclose a self-addressed, postage-paid courier package so that we can return your portfolio to you.
You will study
Four x 15 credit courses
- Creative Digital Skills : Develop skills in digital design and photography with practical applications to print and screen solutions
- Creative Online Design: Developing an understanding of digital citizenship and how to develop an online practice. Managing and designing content for blogs, web design etc.
- Animation and interactivity: Learn basic skills for creating animations and moving image
- Symbolism and identity: A research project whereby students learn about symbol motifs and markings and the connection to cultural identity with a particular focus on iwi Māori cultural practice.
You will receive a list of basic requirements to be purchased during the first week (some class materials are supplied).
Student loans and allowances
Student loans and allowances are for domestic students only. For information about student loans and allowances please visit the Studylink website. It is important to apply for your student loan/allowance at the same time as you apply for this programme, due to the length of time Studylink take to process. Loan/allowance applications can be cancelled at any time if you decide to withdraw your programme application or if it is unsuccessful.
While every effort is made to ensure that this sheet is accurate, Otago Polytechnic reserves the right to amend, alter or withdraw any of the contained information. The fees shown in this document are indicative ONLY. Both domestic and international fees are subject to change and are dependent on the development and implementation of Government policies. Please note that additional fees may from time to time be required for external examination, NZQA fees and/or additional material fees.