- Open entry
- International students will be individually assessed to ensure they have an acceptable level of secondary school achievement.
- If English is not your first language, you must provide:
- New Zealand University Entrance OR
- Overall Academic IELTS 5.5 with no individual band score lower than 5.0 (achieved in one test completed in the last two years), OR
- Acceptable alternative evidence of the required IELTS (see here for NZQA proficiency table and here for list of recognised proficiency tests).
If you need to improve your English Language skills, we offer a wide range of English programmes.
- A portfolio or other evidence to demonstrate creative work.
- Applicants may also be required to attend an interview.
You need to submit a portfolio that demonstrates your design, graphic and/or art skills equivalent to NCEA Level 3. We will assess your portfolio against these criteria: composition, concepts - ideas and content, variety and range of media, and drawing skills.
You will study
Four x 15 credit courses
- Creative Digital Skills : Develop skills in digital design and photography with practical applications to print and screen solutions
- Creative Online Design: Developing an understanding of digital citizenship and how to develop an online practice. Managing and designing content for blogs, web design etc.
- Animation and interactivity: Learn basic skills for creating animations and moving image
- Symbolism and identity: A research project whereby students learn about symbol motifs and markings and the connection to cultural identity with a particular focus on iwi Māori cultural practice.
You will receive a list of basic requirements to be purchased during the first week (some class materials are supplied).
Student loans and allowances
Student loans and allowances are for domestic students only. For information about student loans and allowances please visit the Studylink website. It is important to apply for your student loan/allowance at the same time as you apply for this programme, due to the length of time Studylink take to process. Loan/allowance applications can be cancelled at any time if you decide to withdraw your programme application or if it is unsuccessful.
While every effort is made to ensure that this sheet is accurate, Otago Polytechnic reserves the right to amend, alter or withdraw any of the contained information. The fees shown in this document are indicative ONLY. Both domestic and international fees are subject to change and are dependent on the development and implementation of Government policies. Please note that additional fees may from time to time be required for external examination, NZQA fees and/or additional material fees.