As this programme is heavily based in industry and you must be employed at the time of your study. You must enter a three-way training agreement between yourself, your employer and Otago Polytechnic.
- NCEA Level 2 in Mathematics, English, and Physics or General Science, OR
- New Zealand Certificate in Electrical Engineering Theory (Level 3) OR equivalent.
- For applicants 20 years and over there are no minimum academic requirements.
Skills for tertiary study (including literacy and numeracy) may be acquired through study, work and/or life experience. Students who can demonstrate these skills may be approved for alternative entry. Literacy and numeracy assessments are available.
- If English is not your first language, you must provide:
- New Zealand University Entrance OR
- Overall Academic IELTS 5.5 with no individual band score lower than 5.0 (achieved in one test completed in the last two years), OR
- Acceptable alternative evidence of the required IELTS (see here for NZQA proficiency table and here for list of recognised proficiency tests).
If you need to improve your English Language skills, we offer a wide range of English programmes.
In exceptional circumstances, an applicant under the age of 20 who does not meet the academic entry requirements may be granted entry to the programme where they supply evidence of their ability to succeed on the programme.
You will be expected to attend a weekly, three-hour hour night class during term time. There will also be an additional one-week block courses per year during your apprenticeship.
Additional self-directed study hours (of up to nine hours per week) may be required to complete this qualification.
Further study options
To expand your knowledge and career options, undertake our New Zealand Diploma in Engineering (Electrical).
Student loans and allowances
Full-time domestic students of this programme are eligible for student loans and allowances (dependent on age and financial circumstances.) Please contact Studylink for additional information. Phone 0800 88 99 00 or visit: www.studylink.govt.nz
Recognition of prior learning
If you already have extensive knowledge and skills gained from practical experience in this area, enquire about our recognition of prior learning process at Capable NZ. You may have already gained credits towards this qualification in the course of your life. Visit www.capablenz.ac.nz
For more information
While every effort is made to ensure that this sheet is accurate, Otago Polytechnic reserves the right to amend, alter or withdraw any of the contained information. The fees shown in this document are indicative ONLY. Both domestic and international fees are subject to change and are dependent on the development and implementation of Government policies. Please note that additional fees may from time to time be required for external examination, NZQA fees and/or additional material fees.