- We will test you and place you at the right level when you arrive. You may not be enrolled into the Certificate level that you apply for.
- International students need a visa to study with us for more than three months.
What you will learn
When you complete this programme you will be able to:
- understand the main ideas and key supporting details of moderately complex spoken and written information for social and transactional purposes
- participate effectively in sustained conversation for social and transactional purposes
- write detailed, well developed and moderately complex texts
- 22 hours a week in class, guided by your teacher
- 10-14 hours a week for self-directed study
You will need to buy the course textbook at the start of your course. This will be available from your lecturer for a discounted price of $60.00.
This programme prepares you for further study in our certificate, diploma and degree programmes. We recommend the New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Academic) (Level 4).
Student loans and allowances
Student loans and allowances are for domestic students only. For information about student loans and allowances please visit the Studylink website. It is important to apply for your student loan/allowance at the same time as you apply for this programme, due to the length of time Studylink take to process. Loan/allowance applications can be cancelled at any time if you decide to withdraw your programme application or if it is unsuccessful.
While every effort is made to ensure that this sheet is accurate, Otago Polytechnic reserves the right to amend, alter or withdraw any of the contained information. The fees shown in this document are indicative ONLY. Both domestic and international fees are subject to change and are dependent on the development and implementation of Government policies. Please note that additional fees may from time to time be required for external examination, NZQA fees and/or additional material fees.