- You will be tested and placed at the right level when you arrive.
- If you plan to study with us for more than three months, international students will need a visa.
For those studying this programme at the Auckland International Campus only
- The New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Level 4) is only offered to students who intend to study a Level 7 programme at the Auckland International Campus.
- Students are expected to have an IELTS 5.5 (or equivalent) with no band score lower than 5.0*.
- Students will be tested upon arrival to ensure that the correct level of English tuition is offered.
*This criteria is based on the Level 7 programme entry criteria of IELTS 6.0 - which students are expected to reach upon completion of New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Level 4).
You will study
This level is suitable for those speakers who can use English with accuracy and want to prepare for higher-level academic study. When you have completed this level, you can apply for most academic programmes at certificate, diploma, degree or graduate diploma levels.
When you graduate, you will have the English language skills to:
- understand the main ideas and key supporting details of complex oral texts on familiar and sometimes unfamiliar topics
- read and understand complex texts with a large degree of independence on familiar and sometimes unfamiliar topics
- locate, organise and summarise important information in texts
- speak with fluency and spontaneity to communicate with some degree of elaboration in a range of familiar and unfamiliar contexts
- write coherent texts appropriate to audience and purpose, with few linguistic errors in a range of text types, synthesising and evaluating information and arguments from a number of sources.
You will learn for 23 hours a week with your teacher. You will also learn for 10 hours a week by yourself, guided by your teacher.
Student loans and allowances
Student loans and allowances are for domestic students only. For information about student loans and allowances please visit the Studylink website. It is important to apply for your student loan/allowance at the same time as you apply for this programme, due to the length of time Studylink take to process. Loan/allowance applications can be cancelled at any time if you decide to withdraw your programme application or if it is unsuccessful.
While every effort is made to ensure that this sheet is accurate, Otago Polytechnic reserves the right to amend, alter or withdraw any of the contained information. The fees shown in this document are indicative ONLY. Both domestic and international fees are subject to change and are dependent on the development and implementation of Government policies. Please note that additional fees may from time to time be required for external examination, NZQA fees and/or additional material fees.