Are you interested in finance and money management? Accounting could be the career for you!
A career as an account may include:
- Developing financial statements and reports
- Tracking and recording client's income and spending
- Providing financial advice around budgeting, cash flow and taxes
- Managing budgets and estimating clients potential spending
- Monitoring a business’ performance
Gaining a New Zealand Diploma in Business (Accounting) or (Leadership and Management) (Level 5) at Otago Polytechnic includes:
- Completing four core business papers during semester 1
- One-year full time study
- Approximately 12 hours of in class learning a week
- Approximately 25 hours per week outside of class study
Gaining a Bachelor of Applied Management (Accounting) (Level 7) at Otago Polytechnic includes:
- Three years full time study
- Around 40 hours of in class and self-directed study a week. For every hour of face to face teaching it is expected you will complete 3 hours of outside of class study
- Completing a researched based internship project
What types of assessments are involved?
Accounting programs at Otago Polytechnic include essay and report writing, completing case studies, computer-based programming and a final exam.
Job outcomes for both those with a diploma (level 5) or a degree (level 7) are high as people with skills in accounting as there are always businesses looking for accountants.
Gaining a New Zealand Diploma in Business (Accounting) (level 5) means you can apply for work as a Bookkeeper, Finance Administrator, Inventory Controller or an Accounts Receivable/Payable Officer.
Gaining a Bachelor of Applied Management (Accounting) (Level 7) is the first step to becoming a Chartered Accountant (CA), Associate Chartered Accountant (ACA) or Certified Practicing Accountant (CPA). In other words, this bachelor's degree allows you to become a qualified accountant which leads to higher responsibility and higher payed employment. If your goal is to be a Head Finance Manager or Financial Controller you will likely need a CA or CPA qualification.
English Language requirements
- IELTS 5 for Level 3; IELTS 5.5 for Level 4 and Diploma; IELTS 6.0 for Bachelor degree
- NZCEL Level 3 Applied (Academic) for Certificates and Diploma
- NZCEL Level 4 Academic for Bachelor degree and Graduate Diploma