- Childcare Support Worker
- Home-based Carer
- Education Support Worker
- Tertiary Teacher
- Private Educator
- Industry Educator
- Staff Trainer.
- Learners must be at least 17 years old.
- For applicants under 20 years old, NCEA Level 2 including 10 Level 2 literacy credits and 10 Level 2 numeracy credits OR New Zealand Certificate in Early Childhood Education and Care (Level 3) OR equivalent academic achievement.
- For applicants over 20 years old, there are no academic entry requirements.
- In exceptional circumstances, an applicant under the age of 20 who does not meet the academic entry requirements may be granted entry to the programme where they supply evidence of their ability to succeed on the programme.
- For all applicants, an interview will be held prior to acceptance to assess your suitability for working with children in the community and to ensure Otago Polytechnic meets the legislative requirements of the Vulnerable Children's Act 2014. In accordance with this Act, you will be:
- required to complete a New Zealand Police consent to Disclosure of Information form
- required to supply the contact details of two referees who are willing to give a confidential report. Referees must be over 16 and cannot be related to you, be a partner/spouse/friend or live at the same address as you.
- required to attend an informal interview to discuss your suitability for working with children in the community.
- International students will be individually assessed to ensure you are ready for this study.
- If English is not your first language, you must provide:
- New Zealand University Entrance OR
- Overall Academic IELTS 5.5 with no individual band score lower than 5.5 (achieved in one test completed in the last two years), OR
- Acceptable alternative evidence of the required IELTS (see here for NZQA proficiency table and here for list of recognised proficiency tests).
If you need to improve your English Language skills, we offer a wide range of English programmes.
Courses and work placements
You will undertake 115 hours of work placements in various early childhood settings.
1. Sociocultural Theories and Practices
Explore the theories and philosophies relevant to the Early Childhood Education context.
2. The Effective Educator
Examine your personal philosophy of practice; use strategies to manage health, wellbeing, and professionalism.
3. Bicultural and Inclusive Practice
Learn how to practice as an inclusive educator, promoting diversity and the place of Māori as tangata whenua.
4. The ECE Profession
Engage effectively with stakeholders within the early childhood education context to protect and support the wellbeing of children and families.
Further study options
Graduates of this qualification may undertake further study towards the New Zealand Diploma in Early Childhood Education and Care (Level 5) or proceed to commence a Level 7 teacher education (ECE) qualification. Otago Polytechnic currently doesn't offer either of these qualifications but if you wish to speak with someone about further learning opportunities, please email our career practitioner email@example.com
Student loans and allowances
Student loans and allowances are for domestic students only. For information about student loans and allowances please visit the Studylink website. It is important to apply for your student loan/allowance at the same time as you apply for this programme, due to the length of time Studylink take to process. Loan/allowance applications can be cancelled at any time if you decide to withdraw your programme application or if it is unsuccessful.
While every effort is made to ensure that this sheet is accurate, Otago Polytechnic reserves the right to amend, alter or withdraw any of the contained information. The fees shown in this document are indicative ONLY. Both domestic and international fees are subject to change and are dependent on the development and implementation of Government policies. Please note that additional fees may from time to time be required for external examination, NZQA fees and/or additional material fees.