- A passion for women's health.
- The ability to work independently and with others.
- The ability to respond to changing circumstances.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- The ability to work well under pressure.
- The ability to be accountable.
- You must be a registered midwife and hold a bachelor's degree, Postgraduate Certificate in Midwifery Practice, OR equivalent.
- You must have access to the internet.
- International students will be individually assessed to ensure they meet the entry requirements.
- New Zealand registered midwives for whom English is a second language are required by the Midwifery Council of New Zealand to have an IELTS score of 7.5.
- International midwifery students who are not registered in New Zealand will require an IELTS (or equivalent) overall band score of 6.5 in writing and reading, and no less than 7.0 in speaking and listening, with no individual score less than 6.0.
You must supply certified copies of academic records and proof of identity.
You are encouraged to enrol early to enable us to plan courses and to allocate staff resources.
2017 course dates
ALL 30 CREDITS
10 July - 3 November, 2017
- Research Methods in Midwifery Practice
You will study
Learning packages will be displayed on the online Moodle learning management system supported by Adobe Connect online tutorials and activities will include quizzes, completion of worksheets, and the use of the Moodle forum for discussion and presentations.
Each course requires working through online resources and participating in online discussions. There will be additional reading and preparation of assessments. Individual pathways and hours will vary but across each semester it is reasonable to plan approximately ten hours per week, per course.
Further study options
Hone your expertise and increase your career prospects by applying for the Master of Midwifery.
Programme specific risks
When studying courses offered online or using other electronic media, you may be at risk of Occupational Overuse Syndrome or other injuries brought about by long periods of computer use.
Student loans and allowances are for domestic students only. For information about student loans and allowances please visit the Studylink website. It is important to apply for your student loan/allowance at the same time as you apply for this programme, due to the length of time Studylink take to process. Loan/allowance applications can be cancelled at any time if you decide to withdraw your programme application or if it is unsuccessful.
Links to useful websites
The New Zealand College of Midwives (NZCOM) is the professional organisation, and recognised 'voice', for midwives and student midwives in New Zealand, and represents over 2800 members:NZ College of Midwives
Nga Maia o Aotearoa me to Wai Pounamu (Nga Maia) is the national organisation representing Maori birthing. The kaupapa of Nga Maia focuses on Mama, Pepi and Whanau and promoting Matauranga Maori in pregnancy and childbirth: Nga Maia
International Confederation of Midwives (ICM) supports, represents and works to strengthen professional associations of midwives on a global basis. At present ICM have over 90 member associations in more than 70 countries. The ICM works with midwives and midwifery associations globally to secure women's right and access to midwifery care before, during and after childbirth: International Confederation of Midwives
The Midwifery Council of New Zealand (MCNZ) is the regulatory body for New Zealand midwives. It is responsible for the protection of the health and safety of women and babies during the childbirth process by providing mechanisms to ensure that midwives are competent and fit to practise midwifery: Midwifery Council NZ
While every effort is made to ensure that this sheet is accurate, Otago Polytechnic reserves the right to amend, alter or withdraw any of the contained information. The fees shown in this document are indicative ONLY. Both domestic and international fees are subject to change and are dependent on the development and implementation of Government policies. Please note that additional fees may from time to time be required for external examination, NZQA fees and/or additional material fees.