Welcome to the School of Occupational Therapy
This section is for students who have a confirmed place on the Bachelor of Occupational Therapy programme for February 2020. Please read through all the information below well before the start of the programme and make sure you have completed all the tasks you need to do before you arrive on campus.
Key dates and times
Orientation week: Monday 17 - Friday 21 February, 2020 between 8:30am - 5.00pm
Throughout this week there are activities taking place within the School to orientate you to the Occupational Therapy programme. All Year 1 students are required to attend these (even if you have already been a student at Otago Polytechnic/Wintec on another programme). A full timetable for Orientation Week activities will be provided on your first day, but please note the following arrival details:
- Monday 17 February - Mihi Whakatau and orientation. Please arrive at The Hub, Otago Polytechnic (Forth Street, Dunedin) by 9.00am.
- Monday 17 February - Orientation. Please arrive at the Long room at the Wintec City Campus by 11.00am.
Regular classes start in the week beginning Monday 24 February, 2020. Click here for a calendar showing teaching weeks, assessment weeks, fieldwork placements and holidays.
Timetables for students will not be finalised until the beginning of the semester.
You may be able to see some entries on your timetable already if you log on to the Student Hub, but these are incomplete and may change substantially right up until the beginning of the semester. Until we have confirmed to you that the timetable has been finalised, you should not rely on this for making arrangements for work, childcare etc. Unfortunately the timetabling system doesn’t enable us to block access to the draft timetables while we are preparing them. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause you.
Further information for Dunedin students
Please find below:
Further information for Hamilton students
Please find below:
Further information for all students
Please find below:
- required textbook list (please note all texts are available in the library and second hand books are sold by previous students)
- Immunisation status - remember to return your completed Immunisation Status Lab Form to OTFieldwork@op.ac.nz before the start of the programme
- Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) cross credits:
You are required to have access to a suitable computer for your degree study.
Please note that if you apply for a Student Loan, you can also apply for course-related costs. The course-related costs part of a Student Loan helps with costs related to your study and can include computer equipment as well as stationery, books and travel.
Essential downloads and minimum requirements can be found by visiting the I.T Support web pages on your Student Portal.
Moodle is the online site which provides you with course content, learning resources and up-to-date information necessary for your weekly studies. You will be accessing Moodle daily.
Students enrolled in our programme will require daily access to:
- an internet connection – you will need a broadband connection to take full advantage of video and audio resources provided
- an internet browser (e.g. latest versions of Firefox, IE, Chrome)
- a computer capable of running the following software, accessing the internet and playing audio and video files (i.e. has a sound card with speakers or headphones)
- media player software for playing common audio and video files either as a standalone software (e.g. iTunes, QuickTime, VLC media player) or plug-ins to your internet browser (e.g., Flash)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 7 or above) for displaying PDF files
- a word processing programme – the latest Microsoft Word programme can be installed via a link in your OP student portal account free of charge for the duration of your study.
Students should also be comfortable with using the computer including basic file management, email and word processing skills. Access to and familiarity with using a digital camera and uploading pictures would also be an advantage.