- An enjoyment of working outdoors
- Physical fitness
- Planning and organisational skills
- Good communication skills
- An eye for detail.
- Open entry.
- This programme is not available to international students.
- If English is not your first language, you must provide:
- New Zealand University Entrance OR
- Overall Academic IELTS 5.5 with no individual band score lower than 5.0 (achieved in one test completed in the last two years), OR
- Acceptable alternative evidence of the required IELTS (see here for NZQA proficiency table and here for list of recognised proficiency tests).
If you need to improve your English Language skills, we offer a wide range of English programmes.
Further study options
Advance your knowledge with our Level 5 Fruit Production programme.
You will study
This programme is based in your workplace with regular visits and support from your programme facilitator. You will also have the opportunity to attend some block courses at the Central Campus. You will build your experience and knowledge of the techniques required to grow commercial fruit or wine grapes. In addition to the compulsory courses listed below, you will have the option of choosing Viticulture Canopy Management (15 credits) or Orchard Canopy Management (15 credits) elective courses.
- Soils and Water (15 credits)
- Plant Science (15 credits)
- Seasonal Tasks (10 credits)
- Pests, Weeds and Agrichemicals (15 credits)
- Machinery, Tools and Equipment (10 credits)
- Communication (10 credits)
- Orchard Canopy Management (15 credits) - Elective
- Viticulture Canopy Management (15 credits) - Elective
You should expect to spend a minimum of 10 hours a week on this programme.
Student loans and allowances are for domestic students only. For information about student loans and allowances please visit the Studylink website. It is important to apply for your student loan/allowance at the same time as you apply for this programme, due to the length of time Studylink take to process. Loan/allowance applications can be cancelled at any time if you decide to withdraw your programme application or if it is unsuccessful.
While every effort is made to ensure that this sheet is accurate, Otago Polytechnic reserves the right to amend, alter or withdraw any of the contained information. The fees shown in this document are indicative ONLY. Both domestic and international fees are subject to change and are dependent on the development and implementation of Government policies. Please note that additional fees may from time to time be required for external examination, NZQA fees and/or additional material fees.