- Online with a minimum of 40 hours compulsory work placement
- Six months full-time; one year part-time
- Level 3
- Starts February (distance full-time or part-time) or July (distance full-time)
- Apply now
Want to have an exciting career working with animals but not sure where to start? Start here! This programme is your first step if you want to enter an animal-related profession and you will learn about the health, welfare, anatomy and physiology of companion animals such as cats and dogs. Successful completion of this qualification will enable you to enter the New Zealand Certificate in Animal Technology (Level 5) (Veterinary Nursing Assistant). This programme is not available to international students.
- Dunedin or by distance with block courses
- One year full-time; two years part-time
- Level 5
- Starts February (distance or on-campus full-time and distance part-time) or July (distance full-time)
- Apply now (Please note: Dunedin campus option is now waitlist only)
Are you passionate about the care and welfare of animals? Graduates of this qualification will be able to work as a Veterinary Nursing Assistant alongside Veterinarians and Veterinary Nurses in a clinical environment. It will also enable you to become a listed Veterinary Nursing Assistant (LVNA). This programme will prepare you for entry into the New Zealand Diploma in Veterinary Nursing (Level 6) where you will gain the skills to become a fully-qualified Registered Veterinary Nurse (RVN).
- Distance with block courses in Dunedin or Wairarapa and work experience
- One year full-time or two years part-time
- Level 5
- Starts February
- Apply until start date
Do you enjoy working with rural and farm animals? Graduates will gain the sought-after skills of a Rural Veterinary Nurse and Technician during this programme and can be listed as a Rural Animal Technician (LRAT). It will enable you to work with Veterinarians and clients to provide rural animal healthcare, monitor rural reproductive care, and assist with the implementation of preventative health programmes.
- Dunedin, Wellington* or online with block courses and 240 hours of work experience
- One year full-time on campus or online | Two years part-time online
- Level 6
- Starts February (On campus full-time | Online full-time or part-time) or July (Online full-time only)
- Apply now
Do you want to be a professional Veterinary Nurse? This programme will enable you to become a fully qualified Veterinary Nurse and to enter the New Zealand Register of Veterinary Nurses. Employment opportunities are diverse and, as well as working as a Veterinary Nurse, could include working within veterinary practice management, veterinary wholesale product sales, animal control, wildlife management, animal breeding, conservation or education (with additional training). From 2020, we are partnering with Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology to offer this programme online with block courses in Tauranga and with WELTEC to offer it full-time at the WELTEC Wellington Campus. *Wellington location still subject to final approval.
- Online with two block courses in Dunedin
- 1 year full-time; 2 years part-time
- Level 7
- Starts February
- Apply anytime
For the first time in the South Island, and in collaboration with the Eastern Institute of Technology (EIT), we are now offering the third year of this qualification online with block courses in Dunedin. Perfect for those learners already studying or living in Dunedin or those that want to base themselves on the South Island while doing this degree. Graduates could seek employment in a variety of roles including as a Veterinary Nurse, Veterinary Nurse Educator, Animal Care Educator or across specialist clinic roles. You will apply for this programme with EIT and enrol as an EIT learner. *subject to final approval