Graduate career opportunities
- Personal Trainer
- Exercise Consultant
- New Zealand Certificate in Exercise (Level 4) or equivalent.
- For applicants aged 20 and above, there are no minimum academic entry requirements.
- In exceptional circumstances, an applicant under 20 who does not meet the academic entry requirements may be granted entry to the programme where they supply evidence of their ability to succeed on the programme.
All students (international and domestic) for whom English is not a first language:
- must demonstrate English Language skills with an IELTS overall band score (academic) of 5.5, with no band score lower than 5.0 OR
- must provide acceptable alternative evidence of English language proficiency depending on the visa decline rate of the country you are from. See here for acceptable evidence and visa decline rates by country.
Please note: All scores must be achieved in a single test completed in the preceding two years. You cannot combine scores from multiple tests. If you have achieved NCEA Level 3 University Entrance you are not required to provide evidence of English Language skills.
If you need to improve your English, we offer a range of English language programmes.
All students will need to wear Otago Polytechnic branded clothing when they are working with clients or out with industry. We ask all learners to have a laptop or tablet that they can use for classwork.
Full-time students will be expected to study for 36 hours per week. This will include directed teaching, self-directed learning and industry experience hours. If you choose to study part-time, you will need to study for around 16 hours per week.
Professional Practice 2 (Level 4, 15 credits)
Learn how to apply and evaluate professional practice principles of working in the exercise industry.
Exercise Science 2 (Level 4, 15 credits)
Gain an understanding of how to apply behaviour change interventions in relation to nutrition and exercise.
Exercise Prescription - Theory (Level 4, 15 credits)
Learn how to develop and adapt exercise prescription to meet the needs of clients.
Personal Training - Practice (Level 4, 15 credits)
Discover how to plan, implement and evaluate exercise programmes for a range of exercise participants.
Further study options
Student loans and allowances
Full-time domestic students of this programme are eligible for student loans and allowances (dependent on age and financial circumstances.) Please contact Studylink for additional information. Phone 0800 88 99 00 or visit: www.studylink.govt.nz
Recognition of prior learning
If you already have extensive knowledge and skills gained from practical experience in this area, enquire about our recognition of prior learning process at Capable NZ. You may have already gained credits towards this qualification in the course of your life. www.capablenz.ac.nz
While every effort is made to ensure that this sheet is accurate, Otago Polytechnic reserves the right to amend, alter or withdraw any of the contained information. The fees shown in this document are indicative ONLY. Both domestic and international fees are subject to change and are dependent on the development and implementation of Government policies. Please note that additional fees may from time to time be required for external examination, NZQA fees and/or additional material fees.