- Massage therapist
- Wellness coach
What will this programme cover?
- Anatomy, physiology, models of health and wellness
- Relaxation Massage
- Therapeutic Massage
- Wellness promotion
- Stress management
- Professional ethics and an introduction to business management
- NCEA Level 2 (or equivalent).
- For applicants aged 20 years or over, there are no minimum academic requirements.
- For those under 20 who do not meet the academic entry requirements, entry may be granted where evidence is supplied of ability to succeed on the programme.
- International students will be individually assessed to ensure you are ready for this study.
- If English is not your first language, you must provide:
- New Zealand University Entrance OR
- Overall Academic IELTS 5.5 with no individual band score lower than 5.0 (achieved in one test completed in the last two years), OR
- Acceptable alternative evidence of the required IELTS ((see here for NZQA proficiency table and here for list of recognised proficiency tests).
If you need to improve your English Language skills, we offer a wide range of English programmes.
- Applications from mature students (over 20) are welcome.
- For health and safety reasons, you must declare any health conditions and hold a current first aid certificate (or be prepared to work towards one during your programme of study).
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, it's highly recommended that you are vaccinated against Covid-19 if you want to apply for this programme.
All health sector organisations engaging healthcare workers have obligations under the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 to take all reasonable steps to eliminate, or otherwise control, the risk of Covid-19 transmission in the workplace.
The New Zealand Government has mandated the vaccine for frontline healthcare workers.
This programme has a lot of hands-on contact with clients and the wider community and we have a duty to ensure their safety and wellbeing.
If you are:
- unvaccinated, or
- choose not to disclose whether or not you are vaccinated, or
- choose not to provide evidence if asked about your vaccination status
this will have an impact on you being able to complete the compulsory hands-on learning and will have an impact on you being able to successfully complete the programme.
This programme is subject to maximum numbers. If the number of applicants exceeds the number of places, a ranking criteria will apply. This will be based on academic achievement and you may be asked to write 200 words on why you wish to study this programme.
You must supply certified copies of proof of identity and proof of residency (where appropriate).
- Course-related materials such as massage tables, equipment, textbooks and a uniform will come to a maximum cost of $1,000 per year
- You also require your own laptop/tablet that are able to bring with you to class
Student loans and allowances
Student loans and allowances are for domestic students only. For information about student loans and allowances please visit the Studylink website. It is important to apply for your student loan/allowance at the same time as you apply for this programme, due to the length of time Studylink take to process. Loan/allowance applications can be cancelled at any time if you decide to withdraw your programme application or if it is unsuccessful.
While every effort is made to ensure that this sheet is accurate, Otago Polytechnic reserves the right to amend, alter or withdraw any of the contained information. The fees shown in this document are indicative ONLY. Both domestic and international fees are subject to change and are dependent on the development and implementation of Government policies. Please note that additional fees may from time to time be required for external examination, NZQA fees and/or additional material fees.