What will I learn?
This programme teaches you to think conceptually and to adapt to change. It's designed to allow you to:
- apply a broad range of generic business knowledge and skills as well as specialised knowledge and skills in your selected field of business
- be proactive to changes in the local, national and global business environment
- demonstrate business skills including problem solving, decision-making, negotiating, and using technology effectively
- develop and manage innovative approaches to business practice
- practice business in a legal, sustainable, ethical and culturally-appropriate manner
- appreciate the impact of different cultures on business practice in New Zealand
- communicate, collaborate and build networks effectively with a diverse range of individuals, teams and organisations
- gather and select information from a diverse range of sources to inform business practice
- take responsibility for continued learning and career development.
You will study eight courses during this programme, each worth 15 credits.
- Business Functions
- Business Environment
- Organisations in a New Zealand Context
- Principles of Change
- Organisational Planning
- Organisational Management and Compliance
- Project Management.
*The online version of this programme is the Open Polytechnic programme. Otago Polytechnic is accredited to offer this to online students. The qualification will be awarded by Otago Polytechnic.
It is expected that you will study for 37.5 hours per week, including a minimum of 8 hours per week in structured direct learning, some hours in an applied workplace or learning environment and up to 27 hours per week in self-directed study.
- The minimum academic entry criteria is NCEA Level 2 including 10 UE literacy credits; however it is preferred that applicants have achieved NCEA Level 3.
- Students older than 20 years of age must have equivalent life/work experience or an equivalent qualification to the above.
- If English is not your first language, you must provide:
- New Zealand University Entrance OR
- Overall Academic IELTS 5.5 with no individual band score lower than 5.0 (achieved in one test completed in the last two years), OR
- Acceptable alternative evidence of the required IELTS (see here for NZQA proficiency table and here for list of recognised proficiency tests).
What if I don't meet the entry requirements?
Our Bridging to business programme (New Zealand Certificate in Study and Career Preparation Level 4) offers the perfect pathway into this qualification.
If you need to improve your English to apply for this programme, you could apply for one of our New Zealand Certificate in English Language programmes which we offer at our Auckland International Campus and online.
While every effort is made to ensure that this sheet is accurate, Otago Polytechnic reserves the right to amend, alter or withdraw any of the contained information. The fees shown in this document are indicative ONLY. Both domestic and international fees are subject to change and are dependent on the development and implementation of Government policies. Please note that additional fees may from time to time be required for external examination, NZQA fees and/or additional material fees.