What will I learn?
During this qualification, you will gain the skills, knowledge and attributes to competently and independently work in the retail sector.
Graduates of this qualification will be able to:
- monitor and maintain health, safety and security practices within a retail environment to ensure own safety and minimise potential hazards for customers and co-workers in a retail environment
- coordinate interactions with colleagues, managers and customers to provide efficient customer service in a retail environment
- maintain the application of standard operating policies and procedure to work roles in a retail environment
- apply specialist product and/or service technical knowledge and skills to retail interactions.
- 40 credits NCEA Level 1, including 10 literacy credits and 10 numeracy credits; OR
- New Zealand Certificate in Retail (Level 3).
You must currently be working in a retail environment.
- If English is not your first language, you must provide:
- New Zealand University Entrance OR
- Overall Academic IELTS 5.5 with no individual band score lower than 5.0 (achieved in one test completed in the last two years), OR
- Acceptable alternative evidence of the required IELTS (see here for NZQA proficiency table and here for list of recognised proficiency tests).
If you need to improve your English Language skills, we offer a wide range of English programmes.
This programme has a duration on 19 weeks full-time with part-time options (please contact us to discuss these).
|Course title||Level||Credits||Learning hours|
|Specialist Retail 1||4||15||150|
|Specialist Retail 2||4||15||150|
|Operational Policies and Procedures||4||15||150|
1. Specialist Retail 1
To enable students to apply specific product and service knowledge to meet customer needs in a retail environment.
- Apply specialist product knowledge.
- Manage complex sales transaction.
2. Specialist Retail 2
To enable students to apply skills to improve business performance in a sales role
- Improve business performance in a sales role.
- Develop and evaluate sales proposals.
- Produce draft promotional material.
3. Applied Communication
To enable students to manage effective communication with internal and external stakeholders
- Write effectively for a business environment.
- Manage difficult conversations.
- Coordinate interactions with colleagues, managers and customers.
4. Operational Policies and Procedures
To enable students to manage team operational policies and procedures in a retail environment.
- Monitor and maintain both health and safety and theft and fraud.
- Evaluate and maintain operational policies and procedures within your work team.
- Solve variations in reconciliations of sales takings.
Further study options
Successful completion of this programme can lead to further study in business qualifications at Level 5.
Career opportunities for graduates
Specialised or senior retail or customer service roles in a wide variety of retail workplaces, which may include retail sales, merchandising, or specialist technical knowledge areas.
Student loans and allowances
Full-time domestic students of this programme are eligible for student loans and allowances (dependent on age and financial circumstances.) Please contact Studylink for additional information. Phone 0800 88 99 00 or visit: www.studylink.govt.nz
Recognition of prior learning
If you already have extensive knowledge and skills gained from practical experience in this area, enquire about our recognition of prior learning process at Capable NZ. You may have already gained credits towards this qualification in the course of your life. www.capablenz.ac.nz
While every effort is made to ensure that this sheet is accurate, Otago Polytechnic reserves the right to amend, alter or withdraw any of the contained information. The fees shown in this document are indicative ONLY. Both domestic and international fees are subject to change and are dependent on the development and implementation of Government policies. Please note that additional fees may from time to time be required for external examination, NZQA fees and/or additional material fees.