What skills will I graduate with?
Graduates of this qualification will have the skills and knowledge for roles such as a Vocational or Workplace Educator/Trainer and as an academic staff member/tutor.
- NCEA Level 2. You may still be approved for entry if you can show you have the literacy and numeracy skills needed for tertiary study through other study, work and/or life experience.
- If English is not your first language, you must provide:
- New Zealand University Entrance OR
- Overall Academic IELTS 6.5 with no individual band score lower than 6.5 (achieved in one test completed in the last two years), OR
- Acceptable alternative evidence of the required IELTS (see here for NZQA proficiency table and here for list of recognised proficiency tests).
If you need to improve your English Language skills, we offer a wide range of English programmes.
This programme is made up of two courses and can be studied part-time or full-time.
1. Learner-Centred Practice (Level 5, 20 credits)
Learn how to be an effective facilitator of learning as appropriate to your teaching context.
- Design, implement and evaluate learner-centred activities.
- Reflect on actions to inform practice and enhance learner outcomes.
- Use strategies that enhance learning appropriate to the cultural context, the functional literacy needs, and diversity of the learners.
2. Embedding Literacy and Numeracy (Level 5, 20 credits)
Develop the skills to embed literacy and numeracy into a vocational or workplace programme.
- Identify the reading, writing or numeracy demands of a task, analyse the learners' needs and design and implement strategies to improve learners' reading, writing and numeracy skills.
Further study options
Graduates of this qualification may undertake further study towards Level 6 and above qualifications in adult and tertiary teaching.
Student loans and allowances
Full-time domestic students of this programme are eligible for student loans and allowances (dependent on age and financial circumstances.) Please contact Studylink for additional information. Phone 0800 88 99 00 or visit: www.studylink.govt.nz
Recognition of prior learning
If you already have extensive knowledge and skills gained from practical experience in this area, enquire about our recognition of prior learning process at Capable NZ. You may have already gained credits towards this qualification in the course of your life. www.capablenz.ac.nz
While every effort is made to ensure that this sheet is accurate, Otago Polytechnic reserves the right to amend, alter or withdraw any of the contained information. The fees shown in this document are indicative ONLY. Both domestic and international fees are subject to change and are dependent on the development and implementation of Government policies. Please note that additional fees may from time to time be required for external examination, NZQA fees and/or additional material fees.