Free fees information
Due to a government initiative aiming to encourage more people to achieve a Level 2 qualification, we are offering free fees to those that do not already hold a Level 2 or higher qualification.
If you do hold a Level 2 or higher qualification, some restrictions may apply.
Please contact us for more information or if you would like to discuss your situation. Phone 0800 762 786 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Youth Guarantee information
If you are a 16-19 year old* and feel that school didn’t work out for you, you may be able to study these Certificates via our Youth Guarantee Scheme and pay no fees. Please note that there are limited Youth Guarantee places available for this programme and therefore funding cannot be guaranteed.
*or you are going to be 15 years old at the time that this programme starts AND have an early leaving exemption from school
To be eligible for Youth Guarantee funding, you must:
- Be a domestic student between 16-19 years old
- OR be 15 years of age at the time when you commence the programme AND have an early leaving exemption from your school
- Have been thinking about leaving school and getting a job OR prefer to be working towards a career rather than staying at school OR have left school and are not sure how to enter higher education or employment
- Be more motivated in a non-school setting and be prepared to enrol in a full-time programme.
Fees and allowances
The Youth Guarantee Scheme will cover tuition fees, material and equipment costs of your programme of study. 18-19 year olds enrolled in fees-free Youth Guarantee qualifications will now be able to access the course-related costs part of the student loan and student allowances if they meet the eligibility criteria. Those under 18 years old will not be able to access any part of the student loans. Funding for travel is available, conditions apply. Please visit the Studylink website for full details. We strongly recommend that you read this carefully prior to applying for this programme.
- There is not a separate Youth Guarantee application form. Please apply for this programme by using our standard Otago Polytechnic application form. To apply online, or to download a paper version, click the apply button at the top right hand corner of this page.
- If you meet the criteria for Youth Guarantee funding, you will be offered the funding if it is available. We will ask you to let us know within two weeks if you do not wish to take up the funding. .
- If there is no Youth Guarantee funding available, we will send you a letter advising you of this. Along with this letter, you will receive an invoice, terms and conditions, a Studylink brochure and an equipment list advising what you will need to purchase before starting your programme.
- Open entry. You will take part in an assessment process to measure your current skill level. This will involve having an informal chat with a course advisor, and taking part in an online reading and numeracy assessment so that we can make sure that you are placed at the right level.
- If English is not your first language, you must provide evidence of English language proficiency.
You must provide proof of identity and proof of residency (where appropriate). This must be a birth certificate or passport.
You may need to consider access to a computer and/or tools.
You will study
You will learn how to organise, plan and direct your own learning and will focus on the following areas:
- Practical trade-based skills
- Reading and writing skills
- Workplace skills
- Personal development skills (including study skills).
You will be expected to attend Otago Polytechnic for a minimum of 20 hours per week. In addition, you may need to complete study tasks outside of that time.
Student loans and allowances are for domestic students only. For information about student loans and allowances please visit the Studylink website. It is important to apply for your student loan/allowance at the same time as you apply for this programme, due to the length of time Studylink take to process. Loan/allowance applications can be cancelled at any time if you decide to withdraw your programme application or if it is unsuccessful.
While every effort is made to ensure that this sheet is accurate, Otago Polytechnic reserves the right to amend, alter or withdraw any of the contained information. The fees shown in this document are indicative ONLY. Both domestic and international fees are subject to change and are dependent on the development and implementation of Government policies. Please note that additional fees may from time to time be required for external examination, NZQA fees and/or additional material fees.